Sonoma State celebrates 25 years with the Wine Institute

exc-601a272b8d5a821651bb1e05
exc-601a272b8d5a821651bb1e05

Sonoma State University is in the heart of wine country, right outside of Napa and Sonoma County. This year, the University celebrates its 25-year anniversary for having its very own wine business education. The Wine Business Institute or commonly known as WBI has flourished here at SSU. In the 25 short years of existence over 1,000 students have graduated with an undergraduate or graduate degree from the Wine Institute.

Wine Building - Star.jpg

Senior Kyle Stickels here at Sonoma State is a Wine Business major and has used his tools he has learned in the classroom to work with the winery, Paul Hobbs. “Overall, the experience I have had in the wine business specific major and the opportunity I have had to work at Paul Hobbs has been a positive and fulfilling one. I work during the harvest season which is long hours and hard work in the cellars. Day to day life looked like checking bricks and temps as well as doing different additives to the fermenting fruit. In the morning we did pump overs and punch downs followed by actual grape processing in the afternoon. While the work is very strenuous and laborious it is both rewarding and satisfying. Being able to take what I have learned from school and put it in the workplace has been the best part.” Stated by Stickels about his experience.

In 2018, Sonoma State built the Wine Spectator Learning Center.  This was built for a tremendous number of reasons but most influential comes from learning the ins and outs of the wine business and how to work with customers and clients.  Since it was built it has been cherished all throughout campus as one of the true bright spots of the school.  Many SSU students are given the opportunity to work inside of it, bolstering a strong resume through the first 25 years. There has been over $500,000 in scholarship raised, 980 bachelor alumni in the Wine Business and finally, 216 master’s alumni also in the business.

Sonoma State President Judy Sakaki described the institute in an interview for the University by stating, “The Wine Business Institute has much to celebrate, and is one of the jewels of Sonoma State University. From partnering with industry in providing quality wine business education and research opportunities for under – resourced and first – generation college students, the Wine Business Institute is at the forefront of creating social change at SSU and in our global community.”

Around the area and beyond, Sonoma State has been creating a great environment to learn about the wine business since 1996. The faculty, staff, and alumni are very proud about where the institute is going and where it can go.  

Wine Business Alumni Joe Heintz ‘20 of Sonoma State spoke very highly of his time learning about the business and recalled some of his best times being able to be around his fellow classmates, especially being able to try wines and learning about all the differences about them from all over the world.

Heintz ‘20 stated, “My personal experience with going through the Wine Business program at Sonoma State was definitely a memorable one. The professors and my classmates were what made it so impactful on my life. The reason the Wine Business program was so impactful for me was because it laid down the foundation of needed knowledge to enter the industry.  I am currently working as a sales representative for E&G Gallo Winery in the Petaluma and Rohnert Park area. Which means I go into different grocery stores in the area and bring in as many Gallo products as possible. The wine program definitely helped me with the entire process.  I would recommend it to everyone who has an interest in this kind of business.”