Study abroad applications are now open for students through CSUIP and NSE

exc-6023367b860f421d4721c130
exc-6023367b860f421d4721c130

Since Spring of 2020, the pandemic has halted all travel, which limited opportunities for college students to study abroad. This has been a crazy year and students are more eager than ever to travel and see the world.

With hope for change in the future, California State University International Program (CSUIP) and National Student Exchange (NSE) applications are now open. Both programs’ goal is to provide the experience of a lifetime for students, while also giving a clear understanding of financial obligations and educational expectations.

CSUIP gives students the opportunity to study abroad in one of 18 different countries. For competitive countries such as Australia, Japan and South Korea, it is critical that students meet the application priority deadline of February 15th.

After studying abroad in London, SSU alumna Nicole Hickmott said, “If there’s one thing I wish I knew before studying abroad it would be that there’s no right or wrong way to study abroad. Surround yourself with positive people, be open to new experiences, and don’t worry about not getting to visit that one country you thought you’d go to.”

Sonoma State also offers the NSE program, which allows students to study in another part of the U.S. or Canada, or in a different country. It is important to note that students who apply to NSE or NSE Study Abroad for Fall 2021 and/or Spring 2022 by February 15th will receive $25 off their application fee.

Both CSUIP and NSE translate Sonoma State tuition rates and financial aid, so studying abroad can be an even cheaper option for students. Academic credits are also transferred directly to Sonoma State, which eases stress and prioritizes exploring the country.

When asked about the balance between school and travel, Hickmott stated, “The balance between school and exploring while abroad is manageable. Many of the classes I took abroad gave me a different experience than I would have had in classes domestically.” Hickmott also stated that she was, “ I was able to travel to 25 European countries over the course of two semesters (and breaks), while maintaining an honorable GPA.”

Studying abroad not only broadens horizons in education, but can help students pave their future career path. Challenges such as culture shock, language barriers and communication are all prevalent when studying abroad. These obstacles can be applied to post-grad experiences for students and give them tools that are hard to find elsewhere.

When asked how studying abroad affected her career path, SSU alumna Malia Ford stated, “My time abroad enhanced the skills I use every day in my job. I currently do outside sales for a family winery and each day I talk to dozens of different people for work.” Ford added, “I gained a sense of confidence in myself abroad that helps me in my job every single day.”

Studying abroad is an opportunity that students should take advantage of if they are interested. The first step in studying abroad is to attend a virtual meeting to get a grasp on requirements, steps and deadlines. Students then must start the application, and they should seek guidance from an advisor to help them fill it out. The Global Engagement Office is a great resource to answer questions and provide support to students.

Global Engagement Coordinator, Dr. Hope Ortiz stated, “Not only is it an adventure of a lifetime, but studies have found that students return from studying abroad with more confidence, cross-cultural competency, independence, flexibility, and adaptability.” Ortiz also stated, “This experience helps students to become more aware, global citizens, that are more knowledgeable of and empathetic towards people with different backgrounds from themselves.”

It’s common for students to be on the fence about studying abroad, but Malia Ford says, “Do it! Going abroad pushes you out of your comfort zone and allows you to learn more about yourself and grow in ways you couldn’t imagine.”

In regards to hesitation, Dr. Ortiz also stated, “Oftentimes, when students are asked what they enjoyed the most or benefited the most from their study abroad experience, it is also the thing that they were most nervous about or found the most challenging initially (learning the language, making friends, learning the culture, etc.).”

The deadline to apply to study abroad with CSUIP and NSE is February 15th 2021. Questions and inquiries should visit the Global Engagement’s Study Away webpage at https://international.sonoma.edu/study-away.

49508786691_ac7473c2f0_b.jpg