SSU welcomes scatter band

exc-6035b7f9fd275d74019cb5d2
exc-6035b7f9fd275d74019cb5d2

If you’re looking for a fun way to incorporate live music and dance into upcoming events at Sonoma State, then the all-new scatter band is the place for you. When asked about scatter band via Zoom, Hailey Glass, an SSU freshman, says that “it’s a low-stress group who is untraditional about having fun at SSU events.”

Glass is the scatter band coordinator, and she is set on helping the band to create their own performance, as well as building a name for themselves. Glass, as well as other members, held a Zoom info session on Feb. 19 to spread the word about how scatter band could be a ton of fun for students on and off-campus. This newly-established band group is looking forward to helping create a lighthearted, fun campus atmosphere for live music fans to enjoy.

Whether students have experience playing instruments or not, scatter band is set on helping Seawolves fit right in. Glass defines scatter band as “an unorganized pop-up band that plays at football games or rallies,” and emphasizes that they can play anywhere that needs some good music.

Scatter band does not hold members to a specific wardrobe or matching outfits, which only adds to the unorganized and chaotic style that they are going for instead, they uphold values of a band that can perform at a show with synchronous rhythm and beats, all with each other.

Glass recalls her high school experiences performing in scatter band, stating that, “we wore red capes at every performance we did. We didn’t get to create and personalize each of our capes.Glass continues to emphasize the nontraditional way that scatter band does their performances, stating that each individual can design their wardrobe to their own style as long as they are synchronous with the music.

Mo Phillips, director of student involvement at SSU, says that she has “never seen a traditional scatter band like this in [her] 24 years at SSU.” She continues to emphasize that she believes it will be great for campus spirit, and it will be exciting to build from scratch.

All members of the scatter band agree that it would be a great way to reconnect once vaccinations start to roll out for all students. Hailey Glass re-emphasizes that the scatter band is far different from a typical school-organized band. As stated and recapped in the Zoom discussion, scatter band is “intended for a nontraditional non-marching style, complete with personalized instruments, free for all to create an appearance as long as it is appropriate.”

When asked about the benefits that a scatter band can bring to the SSU community, a low-stress group that is curated on campus purely for fun was the general consensus from members of the group. While many other bands require an audition and the general stress that comes with standing out, everyone is accepted into scatter band. This can help to provide a good, healthy community spirit for SSU, and not to mention the cheerful on-campus events that are coming in the future!

The scatter band idea stems from marching bands not being able to participate in sporting events, as well as the events department not being able to maintain a formalized group. In the past, the university has hired bands not affiliated with campus students. Therefore, to uphold SSU spirit, having a band for students can provide great benefits for social events and sporting events alike. With first-year students founding scatter band, all members can maintain the longevity of the band for their remaining time at SSU, hoping to pass the cheerful baton to the next generation of students that come to SSU.

STAR // Jacob Loher Sonoma State Students jam out with Allison Au Band.

STAR // Jacob Loher
Sonoma State Students jam out with Allison Au Band.