Seawolves Speak: How do you stay focused during online classes?

exc-6035b9f94f274e4f5aebf614
exc-6035b9f94f274e4f5aebf614

Seawolves, along with thousands of other college students, have transitioned to doing their classes fully online for almost a year. It has been quite the ride maneuvering the transition from traditional in-person instruction to fully online learning, and we commend every student doing their best during these challenging times.

Getting a college degree is already commendable for many, but adding the online aspect to college makes it that much harder. Combined with the stress of family members working from home and the constant distractions of roommates and pets, many students are finding it hard to focus on their classwork. Even with all of these distractions, our Seawolves are driven and determined to let nothing stand in their way of getting their degree.

Making the commute to the university campus and being surrounded by students, as well as having professors teaching you, is the cornerstone of the college experience. Without these key pieces of the “college puzzle,” it has been difficult for many students to stay focused and remember what they are here for.

We all miss our beautiful campus and the normalcy that Sonoma State gives students. Studying in the library has turned into studying in our homes, catching lunch in between classes has turned into way too much money spent on DoorDash.

Classes have a much different look to them, and the way that students are working on their degree is different as well. Many students find it difficult to leave their beds or rooms to go to zoom class, and being stuck in the house away from friends and the SSU community has taken its toll. However, many students have found what works from them and are here to offer their advice.

We reached out to our seawolf community to ask what the students are doing to help themselves succeed and focus on their online classes, and here’s what they have to say.

“I stay focused by keeping tabs open on my computer of my assignments, as well as making a schedule to know when things are due ahead of time.”-Andrew Christman, Sophomore, Kinesiology Major

“I stay focused by keeping tabs open on my computer of my assignments, as well as making a schedule to know when things are due ahead of time.”

-Andrew Christman, Sophomore, Kinesiology Major

“In order for me to stay focused I like to sit in a quiet room and play some soft music so I won’t be distracted by my family working from home.”-Toninia Allen, Sophomore, Liberal Studies major

“In order for me to stay focused I like to sit in a quiet room and play some soft music so I won’t be distracted by my family working from home.”

-Toninia Allen, Sophomore, Liberal Studies major

“To stay focused I’m trying to stay off my phone. I am also doing my work in the morning so I have the rest of the day to do what I want.”-Kaleb Moller, Freshman, Pre-Business major

“To stay focused I’m trying to stay off my phone. I am also doing my work in the morning so I have the rest of the day to do what I want.”

-Kaleb Moller, Freshman, Pre-Business major

“I set up a space in my room strictly for class and homework, and make sure to get out of my bed. I also try to get dressed and ready like I would for in person classes, since it brings a sense of normalcy.”-Marilou Cronin, Senior, Psychology major

“I set up a space in my room strictly for class and homework, and make sure to get out of my bed. I also try to get dressed and ready like I would for in person classes, since it brings a sense of normalcy.”

-Marilou Cronin, Senior, Psychology major

“I try to get out of bed to go to class. Online learning is super difficult and I work much better in a classroom setting so getting myself as close to the environment as possible helps me.”-Brooke Bulf, Sophomore, Philosophy major

“I try to get out of bed to go to class. Online learning is super difficult and I work much better in a classroom setting so getting myself as close to the environment as possible helps me.”

-Brooke Bulf, Sophomore, Philosophy major

“I stay focused during my online classes by engaging in the lectures and discussions with both my professors and my classmates.”-Dylan Otto, Senior, Business Marketing major

“I stay focused during my online classes by engaging in the lectures and discussions with both my professors and my classmates.”

-Dylan Otto, Senior, Business Marketing major