Family Weekend makes a return to SSU

exc-603e7f16d2659a7691c70365
exc-603e7f16d2659a7691c70365

Even in a virtual world, some Sonoma State traditions remain as strong as ever. This past weekend, students invited their parents, siblings, and grandparents to Family Weekend. Family Weekend was full of fun events for all age groups and family dynamics, and welcomed students’ families to Sonoma State’s sense of community.

Orientation and New Programs Coordinator Colleen Mahoney stated, “Family Weekend is a reminder that we see the whole SSU family unit, and that includes guardians, grandparents, siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, anyone a student counts on. We hope that we give them a few moments of fun, silliness, and laughter, and hopefully a few memories to include about time at SSU.”

With a variety of engaging events over Zoom and YouTube, families were able to spend quality time with one another. The chosen activities are special for different age groups and interests. A few noteworthy events are a Seawolf Scavenger Hunt, Noma Nation Bingo, a Cyber Sorcery magic show, and a wine workshop.

When developing the list of events for Family Weekend, Director of Students Involvement Mo Phillips stated, “I chose events with two things in mind. One, for families, but also for students who may not have the traditional family, or for those that are here and maybe their family is at home, wherever that is.”

Along with the “active” events that took place, there were also “passive” events that families could do whenever they pleased. Some examples of passive events were baking, arts and crafts, and drawing. These opportunities gave families flexibility throughout the weekend and gave them a chance to step back from the screen.

“We didn’t want to overwhelm everyone with choices or have those choices mean that participation at other activities wasn’t possible,” Mahoney stated. “We had to pair it down to what we hoped would be interesting to the widest variety of age groups and interests.

Planning events in a virtual setting is something that SSU’s departments are becoming well-versed in. The difference in platform for Family Weekend this year proved to be much different in forming connections with the families who, before the pandemic, would be walking through Seawolf Plaza.

“It may be more challenging to do this with families and/or students when we are not right in front of each other, but we are still sharing an experience,” stated Phillips in regards to the switch to virtual events. “We are promoting Sonoma, showing that we care enough about them to show up even if it’s just on screen.

Although Zoom lent a helping hand to the organizers of Family Weekend to connect families with faculty, Sonoma State’s sense of community was clearly displayed.

“Family Weekend encompasses the community that surrounds the student, for it takes a village for one to thrive and succeed in college,” stated SSU alumni, Tyler Osburg-Head. “This also helps the family understand what the student will be experiencing in an educational setting as well as being fun and engaging with diverse parts of the community.”

Tyler Osburg-Head hosted the event titled “Sip. Swirl. Learn!” during Family Weekend. It is only fitting to have an event solely dedicated to the drink of choice for Sonoma County; “Sip. Swirl. Learn!” is meant to educate families on different wines’ histories, blends, and pairings. After graduating from Sonoma State with a Bachelor’s in Business Administration, and a Concentration in Wine Business Strategies, Osburg-Head was able to relate to families who visited his event and was reminded of the close-knit company of his alma mater.

After 11 years in the wine industry, Osburg-Head was able to give insight and educate attendees with his expertise. “I hope SSU families are able to learn a little more about the specific varietals Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, and possibly understand the whole “grape-to-glass” philosophy and all the various steps involved,” Osburg-Head stated.

“Sip. Swirl. Learn!” was a highlight of the weekend, along with many other events that brought loved ones together. Sonoma State continues to outreach to students, families, and the community even in this virtual world. Family Weekend was one example of many that showcased the care and consideration that staff and faculty show during these unprecedented times.

“We are all in this virtual world together, and if we can share laughs with people across a Zoom screen, imagine how amazing it will be when we can return to campus and hear the laughter up close,” Mahoney stated. “We are anxiously waiting for students to be able to return to campus to be a part of the “in person” community we love so much.”

STAR // Andrew Savedra One of the many Family Night Weekend events was a “Wonder Woman” showing at Drive-In Movie Night.

STAR // Andrew Savedra
One of the many Family Night Weekend events was a “Wonder Woman” showing at Drive-In Movie Night.