A tribute to celebrities lost in 2020

exc-601a26946455c7789279a004
exc-601a26946455c7789279a004

As the world mourns the deaths of those celebrities who have recently passed away in 2021, including: Larry King, Hank Aaron, Cloris Leachman and Song Yoo Jung, fans and supporters reflect back on celebrities who passed away in 2020.

Chadwick Boseman - Creative Commons (DaveHogg).png

Josh Weeks a junior at SSU commented, “Kind of crazy every year feels like a celebrity dies but I spent a lot more time on social media so I feel like I noticed it more.” As this year has become even harder with the novel coronavirus taking over, we reflect those who we have lost in 2020.

First starting with NBA star and basketball legend Kobe Bryant, who died last Jan. 26, 2020 in a tragic helicopter incident. Kobe with his team on the Los Angeles Lakers had attained five championship rings in his career, the Black Mamba as many remember him was most noted for his incredible performance and mind set, often Kobe would speak on the mindset of a champion. For Kobe it wasn’t just about winning the game, it was also about what it took to get there. 

Another tragedy Chadwick Boseman, who was an actor, director and screenwriter that made history, starring in movies such as Captain America Civil War 2016, Thurgood 2017, Gods of Egypt 2016, Avengers Infinity War 2018, Avengers Endgame 2019, and 42, 2013, where he played Jackie Robinson and, “Black Panther,” (2018) which shook the nation. 

Boseman was taken by colon cancer last August 28, Boseman was quoted to have urged people and said, “Seize the day, enjoy it” and “From the day I heard it my life has taken on a special glow. I’ve grown in stature I’m sure, but one thing I know for certain is that my confidence has, without a shadow of a doubt. I’ve been able to look people in the eye and not be afraid. I’ve been able to look people in the eye and see them change. It’s as if they feel they have been recognized for the first time, that someone is really looking at them and seeing them and that makes me feel good because I’ve made a difference to someone’s day,” according to Blackhistorymonth.org.uk 

“A celebrity Death that hurt me was Chadwick Boseman. Not only was his death unexpected, but it was tragic how he didn’t want anyone to know he had cancer and put on a spectacular career enduring the pain,” stated by Ethan Humphreys, a Senior at Sonoma State University. 

Then we had the tragic drowning of Naya Rivera, the actress, model and singer, who drowned last July 8, 2020 while out on a boat with her son, she performed in Glee and was awarded the screen guild award for her performance, she was also nominated for two ALMA awards, which she eventually won. Her body was not found until July 13 in Lake Piru in Fillmore California.

Lastly a celebrity in a different light, Joan Ruth Bater Ginsberg or otherwise known as RBG, who fought endlessly for women’s equality and rights and also serving on the Supreme Court until her passing Sept. 18, 2020. She was an outstanding woman, who was unrelenting in her passion to pursue justice and equality. 

Senior Kaitlynn Hochanadal also stated “It was a very sad day in America for many people, including all those that RBG fought so hard for. She was a huge part of how far women’s rights, etc. had come in America and her death was shocking and left a lot of people really worried about their rights and their futures in this county. It was just a very unfortunate passing of such a memorable and powerful figure.” 

Professor Gina Baleria at SSU also commented, “The two that hit me the hardest were Brian Dennehy & Chadwick Boseman. I am also a theatre actor and director (thought It’s been a few years since I’ve done anything) … and Brian Dennehy was one of my favorites – I first saw him in the movie “Foul Play,” and I was lucky enough to see him on stage in New York years later playing one of the leads in “Inherit the Wind,” I also got to see in onstage in SF as Trumbo. So special for me. I loved watching him act, because he seemed to really enjoy it, and from all I’ve read and heard, he sounded like a really nice guy.

Chadwick Boseman’s death took my breath away. I loved watching him on screen, and I also admired his generosity of spirit. I think we need more of that, and he made us all better. What a big loss for us.

John Lewis’ death was also a reminder for me to do better – I honor his legacy of speaking up against injustice and trying to move us forward.

Other deaths of note for me in 2020 were: Olivia de Havilland, someone I watched in many films with my dad when I was young; David L. Lander, because I loved him as Squiggy in Laverne & Shirley; Carl Reiner, Jerry Stiller, Bill Withers, and Naya Rivera.

I would be remiss if I did not also acknowledge the deaths of the two amazing women who just died – Cloris Leachman and Cicely Tyson – both were amazing, and I want to honor them, as well.”