ASP presents PostSecretU as a way for students to submit anonymous secrets

exc-604806b0292bd75222d6ef05
exc-604806b0292bd75222d6ef05

Associated Student Productions (ASP) at Sonoma State has raised the creativity bar through a unique event that broadcasts student voices like never before. PostSecretU allows students to share their hopes, dreams, fears, and expressions through an anonymous platform.

In our virtual world, students are feeling frightened and discouraged for the future, due to the uncertainty caused by the pandemic. In a 2020 case study by the Journal of Medical Internet Research, they stated that college students’ mental health is strongly affected by the pandemic. “Of the 195 students [in the study], 71% indicated increased stress and anxiety due to the COVID-19 outbreak,” the journal stated. “To cope with stress and anxiety, participants have sought support from others and helped themselves by adopting either negative or positive coping mechanisms.”

Students may feel that resources are out of touch and that they are isolated from peers and faculty, so PostSecretU is working to change that. PostSecretU is providing a safe place for students to share experiences so that they do not feel alone. The forum’s goal is to connect students who may be going through the same struggles.

Jocelynne Leon Beltran, ASP event director stated that, “Many of us carry secrets that we are too embarrassed or ashamed to admit to others. All too often these secrets relate to or impact our mental health. PostSecretU aims to break down the barriers by creating a safe, comfortable and anonymous space to share your secret.”

To participate in PostSecretU, students must fill out an anonymous Google form, which entails uploading a file of their postcard and completing a brief survey of the event. Postcard submissions open March 8 and close March 14.

ASP encourages and accepts all submissions, but the only criteria is that your postcard must be entirely true and never shared before. It is expected that some of the information shared may be heavily impactful for some to share or hear.

“To address the safety of those sharing secrets, there will be information on local mental health resources, and on our ASP website and submission link,” Beltran stated. “In addition, it is the intention of the Active Minds National Organization and ASP staff that sharing secrets anonymously provides a comfortable first step that moves individuals closer to seeking help.” Once all of the postcards are submitted, the anonymous secrets will be posted for all to view and read on ASP’s website, with Frank Warren reading selected secrets in an exclusive video.

Frank Warren created his community of postcards in 2005, and the attraction has led individuals to participate and interact with the secrets shared ever since. What started as a simple blog on the internet in 2004, has turned into a movement that has reached cries for help on college campuses, as students have shared their deepest secrets through Warren’s postcard project, PostSecret.

In an NBC News Digital video interview, Warren said, “I wanted to preserve a safe, non-judgmental, non-commercial space where people could feel confident really letting go of their deepest confessions.” He added, “I wanted to honor that and treat everybody’s secret with respect.”

The Sonoma State PostSecretU selections for Warren to read are meant to encompass the student body and show that there are similarities among us even in these dark times. When asked how the event aims to help students, Beltran added, “This pandemic can be hard and having a place for students to share their feelings can be beneficial.”

PostSecretU is publicizing their event on social media pages and the Seawolf Living website. This is a unique opportunity for students to share their thoughts and feelings in an anonymous forum, as well as being able to have their feelings resonate with other students.

“I think that this is a great platform to connect with other students,” said Sonoma State student, Hunter Petretti. “I have definitely felt a detachment from others and campus. I am looking forward to reading all of the secrets that come out of PostSecretU to see what other students are saying and how they are feeling.”

If you are a student and would like to take part in the postcard exchange, visit seawolfliving.com to upload your postcard. On March 17, all secrets, along with Frank Warren’s exclusive video will be posted on http://as.sonoma.edu/asp for all students, faculty, and community members to see.

COURTESY // Instagram PostSecretU is now open for SSU students to submit their anonymous secrets through Seawolf Living.

COURTESY // Instagram
PostSecretU is now open for SSU students to submit their anonymous secrets through Seawolf Living.