Selena Gomez ends tour abruptly

exc-57cde78c197aea06e48fa13e
exc-57cde78c197aea06e48fa13e

During past months, Selena Gomez suddenly announced her decision to end her “Revival Tour” due to medical complications.

Gomez’s choice seemed a bit abrupt, but when she revealed why she is stopping the tour, her Selenators were there to comfort her.

In 2015, Gomez was diagnosed with a disease called Lupus. According to the Lupus Foundation of America, Lupus is a “chronic, autoimmune disease that can damage any part of the body (skin, joints, and/ or organs inside the body).” According to the same organization (Lupus Foundation of America), this disease has no timeline and there is no cure. Gomez will carry the disease forever with flare ups happening at random times.

In an interview with People magazine, Gomez stated that she needed to “take some time off” because of Lupus. The side affects of Lupus are severe, ranging from depression and anxiety to fever and fatigue.

Gomez stated in an interview with People magazine that she struggles with “anxiety, panic attacks and depression.” One can only imagine how difficult performing and putting on a positive front is while feeling terrible on the inside. Gomez made a decision to take time off because of a serious disease. She will come back when the time is right for her. But until then she will be taking care of herself. MTV UK tweeted a video captioned “#Selenators everywhere are sending get well wishes to @selenagomez

#GetWellSoonSelena” showing her fans love and support for her decision.

Gomez’s close friend Demi Lovato once revealed to the world that she struggled with bipolar disorder. Lovato’s strength inspired many to seek help for their issues. Lovato became a spokesperson for Be Vocal: Speak Up For Mental Health. In an interview with Be Vocal, Lovato stated  her diagnosis was a relief, as she finally understood why she was harming herself, which was to cope with what she was experiencing.

As time went on, Lovato and her healthcare professional continuously strived to find a treatment that worked best for her. Everyone can see that Lovato is constantly striving to be the best version of herself. She is in great physical condition and currently performing with Nick Jonas on tour.

According to Be Vocal, the disorder has an occurrence of both manic and depressive episodes. The disorder affects about 12.6 million individuals in the United States and about 29 million people worldwide.

Not all celebrities are open to talking about their issues with the world, but there are many who open up and encourage others to seek help. A few other celebrities that struggle with depression and anxiety are Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Cara Delevingne, Jared Padalecki to name a few..

Mental health issues are a rising concern amongst all communities. Celebrities that share their struggles with the public and their fans, encourage others with mental illness to seek help.

The Anxiety and Depression Association of America has a list of symptoms on their website to look for in loved ones or friends who might be struggling with a disorder. Some symptoms listed are, “persistent sadness, feeling hopelessness, guilt and loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies.”

The Anxiety and Depression Association of America offers an online screen test for those who feel they are experiencing symptoms. The test gives a list of scenarios that one could be feeling. Each scenario given is rated from “not at all” to “nearly every day.”

Mental illness affects people around us whether they talk about it with their friends and family or not. These celebrities make their disorders known to encourage  not to suppress their depression and anxiety. When people hear about celebrities openly talking about their problems, one can only hope that it will inspire others with mental illness to be vocal and seek help.