SSU opens up outdoor studying area

exc-607636cd38c9cb7cc3aa0b13
exc-607636cd38c9cb7cc3aa0b13

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many Sonoma State students have missed studying at some of their favorite spots on campus. Starting this month, Sonoma State Associated Students opened a new Seawolf Outdoor Study Area on campus at the Green Music Center to allow students to safely return to study on-campus.

The Seawolf Outdoor Study Area will be open each week on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. Due to the need for social distancing, students are only allowed to sign up for a maximum of two, one-hour time slots each day.

The Seawolf Outdoor Study Area will have tables, chairs, hand sanitizer, power strips for charging devices, and wireless printing. Prior to entering campus, or the Outdoor Study Area, students must complete a Daily Wellness Screening to ensure the safety of themselves and others.

While using the Seawolf Outdoor Study Area, students must wear a mask and socially distance from one another. There will be SSU staff present to ensure all health and safety guidelines are followed by students.

Erik Dickson, Associated Students Executive Director said, “we all believed that having a space on campus that had stable internet and was on-campus was going to be helpful to our students who needed to get out of their house and get a new space to study.”

Over the past year, SSU student Rachel Beckmann has missed studying on campus, whether it be throughout the semester or during finals week. “The library was one of my favorite spots on campus to study. I loved going to the library with friends to study and get a chance to study somewhere other than my house,” Beckmann said. Many SSU students enjoy studying outside, in a new space, all while being surrounded by the beauty of Sonoma County.

“Sonoma State’s campus is a big reason I chose to go to school here, mainly because of how pretty its campus is, and how it is surrounded with trees. Having the opportunity to go back on campus and enjoy all that it has to offer is one of the main reasons I am excited to take advantage of the Outdoor Study Area” Beckmann shared.

SSU freshmen that have not had the opportunity to truly explore Sonoma State’s campus other than the dorms are just as excited to utilize the Seawolf Outdoor Study Area.

“Being a freshman, I have not had many opportunities to familiarize myself with Sonoma State’s campus quite yet. When the Outdoor Study Space opens on campus, I look forward to getting a change of scenery as I find it hard to always study inside my dorm,” SSU freshman Erin Boyle shared.

Erik Dickson, along with those who are part of Student Involvement and Associated Students, are hopeful that the Outdoor Study Space allows students the chance to safely return and feel connected to campus once again.

“We want to provide a safe space for students to come to campus and study. Not all students have easy access to the internet in their living space, plus the added advantage of the feeling of getting back to campus,” Dickson said.

With finals and the end of the semester near, SSU anticipates that many students will utilize this space as a way to get a change of scenery. More information about the Seawolf Outdoor Study Area can be found at seawolfliving.com.

STAR // Lily Frazier The Seawolf Outdoor Study Area at the Green Music Center has opened up for students to safely study outside from Tues. to Thurs.

STAR // Lily Frazier
The Seawolf Outdoor Study Area at the Green Music Center has opened up for students to safely study outside from Tues. to Thurs.