Associated Students host Open House event

exc-6153c4a81f3c4504a4173c7e
exc-6153c4a81f3c4504a4173c7e

This past Wed., the Associated Students hosted an open house to welcome students to meet the AS officers. All of the branches of Associated Students were ready to present themselves to SSU students and show what they do. Going around the room, they had the JUMP branch available, the banking branch, and the head government branch who talked with the STAR to discuss their plans for the future. 

The open house provided students with a small glimpse into what Associated Students do for SSU. It also gave AS the opportunity to show off what they have been working on, events planned, and volunteer work for anyone brave enough to apply themselves. One of the big benefits of attending an event such as this one is the opportunity to correspond with the officers directly to have your voice heard. Associated Students is all about hearing the voice of the common student, as they want to emphasize and put forth the messages of “student run, student led” government.

One of the first questions asked when you entered was, “Are there any events you would like to see on campus?” They want to show you that they are there to serve you and not the other way around. They want to take the time to get to know students and work with them and for them instead of being seen as this “higher power” above all the regular students. 

The JUMP organization handles volunteer work, and offers the opportunity to sign up to hear more about what they do within the AS program. JUMP Community Connections Director Rhiannon Philippi discussed what JUMP does and how someone can get involved, stating that, “JUMP provides opportunities for students to get off campus, learn about the community, and gain real world experience. We also work closely with Lobo’s Pantry, which is an amazing resource for students to get free food and hygiene products. Students who want to learn more about JUMP can email [email protected], or visit our office on the second floor of the student center, across from The Hub.” 

JUMP, and other programs within ASP, offer great ways to get involved and opportunities to work in a small group to reach a goal and make decisions that will affect the whole school. Each program offers the opportunity to build and host exciting events that will eventually be enjoyed for years to come by the many students you can market to.

Associated Students is a student-run, student-led organization, funded by student fees. Associated Students offers students the opportunity to get involved in a big way on campus. The best way to get in touch with Associated Students is by visiting their office on the second floor of the Student Center, and they welcome all interested students to get involved with their programs. From hosting events and getting involved with city partners, to showing Sonoma State students everything they can do to get more involved on campus as a whole, the Associated Students Open House was a big hit in every aspect.

STAR // Ileana AlemanSecond year SSU student Yesenia Verduzco was excited to attend the AS Open House.

STAR // Ileana Aleman

Second year SSU student Yesenia Verduzco was excited to attend the AS Open House.

STAR // Ileana AlemanAS Business office manager Christina Gamboa and SSU student Paige Carter welcome all students to the open house to talk to them about what AS does for Sonoma State students.

STAR // Ileana Aleman

AS Business office manager Christina Gamboa and SSU student Paige Carter welcome all students to the open house to talk to them about what AS does for Sonoma State students.