Seawolves show their talents at Open Mic Night

Students came out to Weyden and Brewster near the student center for a night of comedy, singing, and poetry. The Associated Student Productions, ASP hosted the event which was attended by around 50 students. There were some students that performed twice and in total, there were about 14 students that took the stage and showed off their unique skills. There were no sign-ups required to participate.

Anyone was welcome to go up and perform whatever they wanted. Some of the songs performed were “Best Part” by Daniel Caesar and “Love is an Open Door” from Frozen. There was also some poetry and comedy which gave the night a nice variety of performances that students could enjoy. The majority of the performance was singing songs. 

The atmosphere of the event was easygoing, fun, and energetic. Many students cheered on their friends as they performed or just enjoyed each other’s company while seeing their fellow Seawolves show off their skills. When asked why open mic night was a good event for students to attend Curtis Manley who is the ASP Event Director said, “students can show off their skills and abilities in a judgment-free non-competitive based environment and this gives them the platform to express themselves.” Curtis was also the MC for the event and would entertain the crowd in between performances with jokes.

Another ASP member Brittey Glor also performed at the event receiving high praise from another member Tucker Jensen who is a third year communications major and film minor. Tucker said, “My favorite part of the night was Brittney’s performance. She sang some opera and it was beautiful.”   

Every performance received applause which made the environment feel friendly, comfortable and gave the performers a chance to express themselves. There were standout performances that students enjoyed. For example, Brittney Glor, a Biochemistry major and biology minor and ASP member said, “My favorite performance was from RA Robbie who sang Golden Hour by JVKE.” That wasn’t the only person who enjoyed Robbie’s performance, Haley Azevedo, a Kinesiology major also expressed her thoughts on his performance she said, “I loved RA Robbie’s performance singing Golden Hour! As he was going up to sing he said it wasn’t going to be that good and I was shocked when he busted out those vocals.”

Any students that are looking to show off their skill should brush up on them. For any students that missed out on this open mic night, there will be another chance to see your fellow seawolves perform songs, poetry, comedy, and other skills on April 20 this time in the Alumni Amphitheater.