Music, Theatre, and Dance Departments host Scholarship Showcase

exc-616f582a68447a4308a10c84
exc-616f582a68447a4308a10c84

This past Fri., Oct. 15, the Dance, Music, Theater and Arts department held a free recital in honor of their supporters and donors. The event showcased the different pitches that these Seawolves could reach, as well as the gracefulness of their dancing, the realism in their acting, and the great musical talents of all of the participants. Dance department chair and Co-Director of the Dance Program Christine Cali was ecstatic to mention that this performance was the first live one at SSU since the pandemic started.

Andy Collinsworth, the chair of the music department, gave special recognition to former professor and donor, Jeff Langley. “I just wanted to make a special acknowledgment to one of our donors and one of our former colleagues here in the music department. Jeff Langley, who we recently discovered entered hospice recently for cancer,” expressed Collinsworth. Jeff Langley is recognized as someone whose efforts helped make the Green Music Center become what it is today, as well as holding the chair of music, theater, and arts. 

“Jeff was a driving force for the Green Music Center, especially in the early days. Shepherding donors, shepherding all of the leadership that it takes to make this facility reality. Without Jeff’s passion and leadership, this space would not be here today,” stated Collinsworth.

The program started with two solos, with Emma Hofhenke on the clarinet, and Marilyn Thompson on the piano. Together they played a piece from Five Bagatelles for clarinet. It was then followed with an oboe solo, from Elias Ramos, and Marilyn Thompson on the Piano, in which they played Sonate pour Hautbois in D major

The event was then continued with a dance performance, with choreography by Christine Cali, Kristen Daley, and performers. The choreography was performed by Abigail Eissmann, Alessandra Jennings, Zara Labbe, and Jeniffer Martuscelli. In an upbeat and energetic fashion, they danced to “A Million Tiny Beautiful Things,” to “To Mask To Reveal” (excerpt) by Matt Langlois. 

Maya Pratt-Bauman performed a drama piece, as she so swiftly executed a piece from SONNET 28 by William Shakespeare.The drama performance was followed by Abbi Samuels and Brian Carillo with vocal solos, with Yvonne Wormer on the Piano. Abbi sang Bess of Bedlam (1683) in a Soprano and Brian sang Make Someone Happy from “Do Re Mi”  in a Tenor. 

John Ruzicka gave a presentation on Theatre Studies and gave some backstory as to how “ask her out” came to be. Elise Clark presented on technical theatre and expressed the hardships she faced whilst doing it all through zoom. Both presenters shed light on how the process of online learning looked like for them. From having to get creative with break-out rooms, and giving their full effort even when they were alone behind the screen, these are the types of hurdles that remote learning can create. 

A jazz combo followed right after, with a smooth melody of Jonathan Decicio’s saxophone. Alongside Decicio was Doug Leibinger with the deep plucks of the bass, and Eli Streich kept the rhythm with the drums, as well as elegantly played the piano. 

The recital finished with the awarding of the scholarships to the students in the various arts. The scholarships consisted of: music private lesson scholarships, VADASZ family foundation endowed music fund, music scholarships, and Theatre Arts and Dance department scholarships. 

Maya Pratt-Bauman, a third-year Theater Arts and Dance major, was the student speaker for the event. She was also a scholarship recipient for the Theatre Arts and Dance Scholarship. She spoke about how special this scholarship will be for her future, stating that “money for my tuition, it is so helpful. In order for me to be here and successfully go through the courses and complete my major, without as much concern on the financial and focus more on the work I am doing.”

Passionate about acting, Pratt-Bauman is now allowed to spend more time perfecting her craft, as she is able to apply all of her efforts to it. “What is so great about this program is that I was able to take some dancing classes, while still focussing on my acting. Every part of the department is so welcoming and there is so much connection between concentration, that I felt that I can learn about them but still concentrate on my roots”

Maya is going to play in three different zoom plays, as well as one in November, titled “365 Days”. She is also awaiting the “Super Mega Molten Hot Lava New Play Festival,” which is an upcoming Theatre and Dance event taking place via Zoom on Nov. 12 – 14.

Overall, the performances wowed the supporters and those in the audience. During the performances, all students involved expressed their gratitude for their respective departments, and for all that they do, and all they provide. 

STAR // Ileana Aleman

Scholarship recipients names were announced and students walked on stage to receive their award.