Sonoma County Hillel celebrates Shabbat with SSU’s Jewish Community

exc-61b01ab3d34f827198415f13
exc-61b01ab3d34f827198415f13

Sonoma County’s Hillel organization provides a community for Jewish students at Sonoma State, and this past Fri., Dec. 3, they hosted a Hanukkah Shabbat celebration in SSU’s Sonoma Valley Room. The event went from 6:30-8 p.m., and provided students with dinner, including homemade latkes, as well as games, music and a White Elephant gift exchange. 

Hillel International is a Jewish non-profit organization that supports Jewish college campus life all over the world. Hillel of Sonoma County hosts events in Sonoma for the Jewish community that revolve around the Jewish culture.

Sonoma County’s Hillel student president and third-year Business Administration major, Haddie Daner, explained that SSU Hillel members host monthly events for major Jewish celebrations, as well as weekly live streams on the Hillel of Sonoma County Instagram page. She stated that, “Hillel’s goal is to provide a safe place for on-campus inclusivity for all Jews, non-Jews, and Allies.”

SSU’s Hillel hosted their last event of the year by welcoming the public to celebrate Shabbat and Hanukkah. Shabbat is Judaism’s day of rest that begins on Friday at sunset and lasts until sunset on Saturday. Hanukkah is an eight day Jewish festival that commemorates the recovery of Jerusalem by the lighting of candles.  

Daner shared the meaning and story of Hanukkah by saying that, “Hanukkah is the celebration of the great big miracle. It was a story of war and the Maccabees needed light/oil. The great big miracle was that the oil was supposed to last for one day, but ended up miraculously lasting for eight whole nights. Then, the Maccabees won the war so it has been a take on how the underdogs won, which in itself is a great miracle.”

About 40 students attended the event, and members of Hillel led a series of prayers and lit the menorah in honor of Hanukkah. There was a food station with an array of food fried in oil, featuring homemade latkes, which are traditional Jewish potato pancakes. Other Jewish cuisine at the event included Challah bread and jelly doughnuts. 

Levi Cobert, a fourth year Sociology student and member of the Sonoma State Jewish Fraternity, Alpha Epsilon Pi, mentioned his experience from the night and what Hillel means to him. Cobert stated, “I very much enjoyed lighting the candles and prayers. Also, of course, the food is always the center of attention at Jewish events. Hillel is important to me because it is a place for Jews on campus to gather, practice Judaism, and celebrate tradition. Most Jewish students here don’t have family or a synagogue in the area so Hillel is a way for them to feel at home and connect to their Judaism.” 

Cobert explained the significance of having a Jewish presence on campus by going on to say that, “maintaining a Jewish presence on campus and creating a place for other Jews to feel welcome and at home is how we strengthen our sense of community. It’s incredibly important for Jewish students to attend Hillel events and continue Jewish traditions.” 

The Sonoma Valley Room was decorated in bright blue and gold colors and there was a picture wall for students to gather to take photos. Tables were also decorated and had traditional Jewish games setup with dreidels. Students who attended were each given a number so they could participate in a White Elephant gift exchange with the table they sat with. Gifts included: games, decor, books, candy, and clothing. 

Daner spoke about planning the celebration and commented on her favorite moments of night by expressing, “it was so much fun planning this event and making the latkes and wrapping the gifts. One of my favorite parts of the night was taking a step back and seeing everyone in different groups being included. The most memorable part for me was when we did the Hamotzi (prayer for Challah bread). We have a tradition where everyone needs to be touching the bread. If you are not close enough, then you touch your neighbor on the shoulder or hold hands to create a web link which represents inclusivity.”

Daniel Pejoro, a third year Biology student and Alpha Epsilon Pi member, attended the Hanukkah Shabbat and shared his thoughts on the evening, as well as being a part of the SSU Jewish community. He said, “the night had such a warm atmosphere after stressing all week studying for finals. I have always felt welcomed in SSU’s Jewish organizations even though I’m not Jewish myself. I definitely think more students should attend Hillel events because they are great for meeting new and interesting people.”  

Daner expressed why students should participate in Hillel events by saying, “SSU students should come to these events to have fun and meet new people! What makes Hillel important for the community is that we have students on campus who are there for others not just on Friday night Shabbat, but every day of the week. Students can get access to resources and find out more information by following our Instagram, @hillelsonomacounty.” 

STAR // Daniel Dinerman

Students were encouraged to take Jewish-themed pictures at the event, as well as enjoy lots of delicious food during the Shabbat celebration.

STAR // Daniel Dinerman

Students and allies involved in the Jewish community joined Hillel for a Shabbat and Hanukkah celebration this past Fri., Dec. 3.