Sonoma State hosts annual Holocaust and Genocide Lecture Series

exc-620c293f694db32828ebd5cb
exc-620c293f694db32828ebd5cb

The 39th Annual Holocaust and Genocide Lecture Series is starting back up again this semester at Sonoma State as a way to remember and pay tribute to those that lost their life. This lecture series has been recognized by the the genocide studies community as indispensable and has attracted the attention of local and national media outlets. 

The Alliance for the Study of the Holocaust and Genocide was created at Sonoma State in 1983. The event is hosted by Professor Diane L. Parness, Ph. D., who has been the Academic Director of the series since 2014. This years theme is “Persecution As A Political Weapon: Genocide Through the Ages” and the lectures are scheduled to take place virtually on Tuesdays from 4 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. 

The series brings together different speakers from around the world to SSU to have enlightening discussions about various genocides of the past and present. Although the name of the series highlights the Holocaust, lectures include stories from the Armenian, Rwandan, Cambodian, Bosnian, Palestinian, Myanmar, and other genocides across the globe. Topics such as human trafficking and the psychology behind how a genocide occurs are also discussed. 

Stated on the Sonoma State website page for the lecture series, “The course explores the intellectual, emotional, and ethical aspects of the Holocaust and genocides and seeks to deepen students’ understanding of organized society, political leadership, democratic participation and human nature.”

Professor Diane L. Parness shares her experience hosting the lecture series for the past 8 years as, “… one of the most inspirational and fulfilling opportunities I have had in over 30 years… Over the past decade many have remarked that this course is one of the most moving and provocative they have taken at SSU.” 

The course is extremely unique according to Parness because, “No other university in the country offers their students and the surrounding community the opportunity to hear 15 different speakers every year share their experience and insight on genocide. To have sustained a program of this caliber for 39 years is something SSU should be very proud of.”

Political science course, POLS307, enrolls students in the semester-long series, and requires attendance of all weekly lectures. Along with lectures, there are documentary film viewings, readings, and other course activities. The course satisfies upper division general education credit in area D5, Contemporary International Perspectives. The series enrolls about 100 students each spring semester however, students do not have to be enrolled in POLS307 to attend the lecture series.

Guest speakers include real survivors of various genocides, liberators and rescuers, along with scholars of the surrounding Sonoma community. Speakers share their personal eye-witness experiences of genocide, keeping the importance of their stories alive.

Continued from the Holocuast and Genocide studies home page,“Our audience is challenged to face the difficult reality of man’s brutality and inhumanity, and to reflect on the common and varied causes of genocide. We also bear witness to the astounding human capacity for resilience.” 

Those that are interested in attending the lecture series, must email [email protected] one week in advance to each lecture to receive the zoom link and attendance instructions. To watch past years recorded presentations, check out http://www.sonoma.edu/holocaust. Follow their facebook page for updates and posts on the series at https://www.facebook.com/SonomaStateAlliance.

COURTESY // Facebook