Seawolves shine at Open Mic Night

exc-6227a9f3e16b49360dc89031
exc-6227a9f3e16b49360dc89031

Last Friday, March 4, a collection of talented Sonoma State students all gathered center stage of Ballroom A in the Student Center from 8-10 p.m. for Open Mic Night. As an event designed to give recognition to creative and talented Seawolves, the show attracted lots of support and interest from the surrounding Sonoma State community. The event was open to the public and was also available to stream live via Zoom.

The MC’s of Open Mic Night, Phi Tran and Tyson Miller, did an amazing job facilitating the event while also keeping the crowd engaged and entertained. The show consisted of several comedy acts, musical talents and poets. 

Hollis LeGate opened the show, showcasing herself as a vocalist. Isabelle Barkey was second on the stage, performing and reading original poetry. Saffron Walter, followed by Maya Pratt-Bauman, both had stand up comedy acts to let loose and get the crowd laughing, featuring bits about their family upbringing, dating life, and more. Deija Temple performed a couple songs, such as a cover of Paramore’s, “Ain’t it Fun.” 

Bucky Brynjegard-Bialik was next, featuring their own poetry and comedic monologue, encouraging students to have fun in life while they still can. “We’re all going to die eventually so I like to encourage people to have fun,” said Brynjegard-Bialik. 

Last to perform at Open Mic Night was Ismael Armando Ramos. Ramos was the student coordinator of the event and showcased his new album, “Hazel St.” which is available on all streaming platforms including Apple Music and Spotify. He captivated the audience with confident stage presence, creative lyrics, and impressive musicality. 

Ramos got his passion for composing and singing in a traditional Mexican household from his Grandpa, who introduced him to playing the guitar. The album name comes from a street in Ramos’s hometown, where he would skateboard frequently

“I was always told to listen to music to clear my head, but I felt that I couldn’t find songs that expressed how I felt. So I decided to write my own…The hope is that others can metaphorically skate down the album to clear their minds like I did.” 

When asked about his inspiration behind putting together the event, Ramos said, “I was looking for a place to perform and get my name out there… I have had the privilege to have class with and work with some amazing performers, so I thought why not create an event where talented individuals can have an opportunity to perform something they always wanted to perform in a safe and supportive space.”

Director of Student Involvement, Mo Phillips, commended Ramos for taking charge of the event. “Most of the time events on campus are hosted by an office, department, or program, but Armando just came up with the idea, we chatted, and it happened,” said Phillips

Phillips encourages students that are interested in starting their own events to reach out.. “If you are a student and have an idea for an event or club, or have not quite found your niche yet, set up a time to meet with me and let’s chat about it. We’ll connect you with the folks who can walk you through the process,” said Phillips. 

To contact Mo Phillips, reach out at [email protected] or by phone number at (707) 664-2804.

Artists and creative minds of all kinds are welcome to join future Open Mic Nights, the next one being hosted by ASP on Wednesday March 9 at 7 p.m. Students who are interested in participating in upcoming Open Mic Nights can reach out to the Student Involvement Center at [email protected].

COURTESY// Rachel Yetso

Ismael Armando Ramos not only performed original songs, but helped plan Open Mic Night.