Explore activities on campus with Recfest

Star // Dennae Taylor

An SSu student soaring through the air during RecFest.

Recfest is an annual event for fellow Seawolves to get involved on campus and familiarize themselves with theRecreational Center. . This past week, Campus Recreation set up games in order to promote the various ways students can stay active at SSU. The goal of the event was to spread awareness of the facilities Seawolves are allowed to use. At Recfest,  each station had a supervisor who explained what is offered on campus.. 

For Recfest, the people who attended received a card filled with different activities. Peyton Gardenhire, who works at the Rec Center said, “We have six different activities for a raffle. You get a sticker when you complete one of the challenges…these equate to raffle tickets.” At the event  Students had the opportunity to win prizes such as  an airfryer, instapot cooker, yeti mug and airpods. 

That night, activities such as the “basketball run” took place. The game involved a jumper where a student had to try to make a basket with a rope holding him back;making it harder for them to make a basket. The Rec Center encourages students  to get involved by joining things such as intramural sports. Tabatha Whitfield, the supervisor for intramurals and the sports clubs on campus said, “It’s a fun way to play sports without any prior experience and to just meet fellow seawolves.” 

“Pool search” was another activity where students on the second floor had to cast down their fishing line in order to capture a toy fish from a small plastic kiddie pool. . The purpose of this game was to promote the re-opening of the lap pool on campus. Aquatics supervisor, Marley Rosen said, “I want to let the students know that open lap swim is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11a.m.-1p.m. On the weekend, the pool is open for swimming from 12 p.m-2 p.m.” 

At Recfest, students seemed overjoyed to take part in the event. Ian Swallow and Hadley Colville were two leads at the rock climbing wall the night of Recfest. Both student workers were excited to see their peers highlining, which involves walking across rope or wire between two high points. Another activity that took place was the fitness challenge. Alex Guevara, who is in charge of group fitness classes and personal trainers, said, “We are doing a dead hang challenge and a push up challenge for as long as you can or however many pushups you can.” SSU student, Amanda Davis, shared her experience overall. She said, “I am enjoying [Recfest]alot… I’ve actually attended this event before, it’s a cool experience. I just did the pull up hang challenge, I almost beat the high score but I slipped.” Davis expressed to the STAR how much fun the annual event ended up being.

Emily Einweck, who works with the outdoor resource center, served hot chocolate at Recfest. Einweck explained the role of the facility, “the outdoor resource center is where we do bike maintenance, bike and camping gear rentals,” They are also known for “outdoor pursuits trips” which include hiking, kayaking and backpacking. make sure to take a look at recportal.sonoma.edu for more information. The Recfest was quite a turnout, many fellow seawolves came. Emily Einweck said, “It’s so much fun, lots of high energy, and we’ve got music going.” The Rec Center is a popular place for students to take part in community activities. and if you happen to be in Seawolf Plaza stop by the Recreation Center.  Make sure to ask about  intramural sports or other ways to get active at SSU.