‘Spring Awakening’ open tomorrow

exc-602c40efb2ecef1c0cd6ab4f
exc-602c40efb2ecef1c0cd6ab4f

Last year when the pandemic hit, the world seemed to come to a screeching halt, at least it felt that way for the entertainment industry. Movie theaters, art galleries, theaters and every other form of entertainment and mental stimulation seemed to disappear. The hopes of getting dressed up and going to a movie, art gallery, play or musical dissipated and everyone came to terms with being inside, at home, with streaming sites like Netflix. 

Music Event Logo - SSu.png

The Sonoma State Music department is changing that and is set to put on a musical, virtually of course. ‘Spring Awakening’ will run from Feb. 17 to Feb. 21, students and faculty will be able to get dressed up in their favorite comfy clothes and enjoy a musical live from the comfort of their living rooms. Tickets are free to all students and faculty but spots must be reserved for the performance day and time desired online at the SSU website.  

‘Spring Awakening’ is a coming of age rock musical set in late nineteenth century Germany that explores teenage sexuality and rebellion. With the use of rock music, a more modern genre than that of the late 1800’s, the musical highlights the struggles teenagers have learning about the world around them and the rebellious phases they go through as they navigate their budding sexualities and self-discovery. 

“Although this show was created during a different era, the issues it discusses are still relevant today. I think this makes it important for artists like us to be learning, promoting, and showcasing those issues through art,” stated Linda Peng, Sonoma State student and cast member.

‘Spring Awakening’ originally debuted on Broadway in 2006, winning eight Tony Awards the following year. It was adapted as a play by playwright Frank Wede in 1891 and later reimagined into a musical by Dan Sheik and Steve Sater. Alexandria Ortiz, a Sonoma State Senior and lead female in the production says that the music is reminiscent of “David Bowie era rock ballads.” 

“I hope that in watching this show everyone will remember what it’s like to be young, curious, and just alive again,” stated Ortiz 

The show is directed by Dr. Lynne Morrow, Sonoma State Vocal and Opera/Musical Theater Director, along with the accompaniment of Theo Bridant the Technical Director who worked meticulously to bring this production online and Yvonne Wormer the collaborative pianist who, “learned how to record the accompaniments and provided us with music so we could work together,” Dr. Morrow said.

While most cast members are Sonoma State students in the Music department, it is collaborative across other departments, “We also have theatre students who audition for the shows and others, especially Technical Theatre majors, who work on the shows. Costume students, Scenic design students, Lighting design students,” Dr. Morrow stated. 

This is the first large scale musical that the Music Department has put on since the campus closed a majority of in-person classes. Last year’s production of ‘Candide’ premiered right under the wire before everything was moved to an online setting. 

With learning being remote students are spread all across the state and country, along with current Covid restrictions, the performances will be live with students performing from their homes. Dr. Morrow stated, “all of the scenes of the show will be Live on Zoom and the solo songs will also be Live.” The students will be performing in front of green screens to create a vibrant world for the audience to be immersed in.

Because some songs are done as an ensemble it is difficult for those parts to be done exclusively Live, Dr. Morrow noted, “the ensembles, where the cast of 13 sings “together” is what has been edited. The performance of the ensembles will be Live, along with the recordings.”