Department Spotlight of the Week: Theatre Arts & Dance

exc-6035b5bf1a5dd83510353566
exc-6035b5bf1a5dd83510353566

The Theatre Arts & Dance Department at Sonoma State University is beloved among students for their supportive and welcoming learning space. With programs offering a Bachelor of Arts degree in Dance and a Bachelor of Theatre Arts, the department is very attractive to artists of all different backgrounds. With a Theatre Arts major, students can choose from several concentrations including: Acting, Technical Theatre and Theatre Studies. 

Theatre:Dance Dept - SSU website.png

Angeles Higareda started off with a dance minor but decided to double major in dance and early childhood studies because of how much she loved the dance program.  Higareda said, “During my years here at SSU, I have felt nothing but gratitude, love and appreciation for the dance department.” Higareda also said that the professors at the Dance department have always been ready to accommodate her tight schedule as a double major. 

Francelle Mariano is in her fourth year as a Technical Theatre major with a concentration in Stage Management. During her time at SSU, Mariano has stage managed dance shows, plays and musicals both in-person and virtually. This school year she is the Production Stage Manager, which means she mentors all stage managers and is in charge of the Senior Project Festival. Mariano thanked several faculty members including Kristen Daley, Christine Cali and Farrah McAdam “for constantly supporting me in any way possible…” She went on to say, “Being a part of this department has created a second family for me at Sonoma State.”

Acting major Lindsey Abbott spoke about the program and said, “It really does help you prep for the real world because you’re auditioning for a variety of shows, and if you do get cast you’re performing and rehearsing an array of different types of theatre.” 

For the department’s spring show, Paul Draper is directing ‘Sonnets for an Old Century’, with voice coaching by Marie Ramirez Downing. The show will be pre-recorded and streamed April 8-11, 2021. 

Maya Pratt-Bauman will be performing a monologue in ‘Sonnets for an Old Century’ and said, “I am very excited to be in the department show this semester…performing a piece about a woman who wanted to be a ballerina.” The show, written by José Rivera, is a compilation of sonnets, answering the question, “Could you tell your life story in the space of a moment, the length of a Sonnet”, according to the Theatre Arts & Dance webpage. 

Other events coming up for the department include the Spring Dance and the Senior Projects festival. Spring Dance will take place virtually April 29 to May 2, 2021 and will be directed by department chair Christine Cali. This event is in collaboration with Kinetech Arts and is meant to illustrate the virtual world we are living in.

The Senior Projects Festival 2021 is the first festival of projects by the department. It will take place May 6 to May 9, 2021. All projects are directed, choreographed, designed, stage managed and some are even written by students. 

Times, tickets and more information on all of the department’s events can be found on the SSU website. 

Theatre Arts & Dance Department Chair Christine Cali gave this advice to future Theatre Arts & Dance program applicants, “Be yourself, share who you are and why art-making and live performance are important to you, share your passion and be brave!” 

Pratt-Bauman commented, “The community within the department is inclusive and kind, supporting collaboration among students and faculty.” If you are interested in the Theatre Arts & Dance Department, virtual tours of the program and facilities can be booked on their page on the SSU website for all to enjoy.