78th Golden Globe nominees announced

exc-6035b56502a5823700b8279e
exc-6035b56502a5823700b8279e

With the 78th annual Golden Globe Awards looming in the near weeks, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) has announced the nominees for the upcoming star-studded event.

Golden Globes Logo - Instagram.png

The event looks to recognize excellence in the film industry over the last 12 months and celebrate the achievements made by filmmakers. The event aims to honor the best American and International films, television shows, actor and actress performances as well as many more categories that are up for grabs coming in the next week.

The 78th Golden Globes will take place on Feb. 28 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. PST, but for the first time ever, the ceremony will be held virtually to adhere to the health and safety protocols put in place due to COVID-19. Hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler will be covering the ceremony coast to coast as Fey will be in Beverly Hills and Poehler will hold down the east coast in New York City. The virtual event will have nominees all over the world guest appearing throughout the show as well

Some of the categories include best motion picture, best performance by an actress in a motion picture, best television series, best performance by an actor, best animated motion picture and many more regarding the production and music in the films as well.

One of the most anticipated categories of the night is the best motion picture. The films that are up for nominations are, ‘The Father’, ‘Mank’, ‘Nomadland’, ‘Promising Young Women’ and ‘The trial of the Chicago 7’. All of these films have been respected in their own way and are being recognized for their stellar performance this year even with all that is going on in the real world.

Two more big awards that are up for the taking is best performance by an actor, and best performance by an actress. These categories have some of the best actors in Hollywood pitted against each other to see who will take home one of the industries most coveted awards. Kate Hudson, James Corden, Andy Samburg, Jodie Foster and plenty of more A-listers will be nominated in their respective categories. SSU Senior Daniel Neal, states that his favorite actor is “Leonardo Dicaprio because of his on-camera persona and that he is always in my favorite movies.”

A common thread in this year’s nominations was the power of streaming services. Motion pictures and television shows distributed by streaming companies such as Netflix, HBO and Hulu were more popular than ever this year and with the closing of movie theaters and Hollywood studios they flourished. Netflix leads all distributors with 22 films and 20 television shows up for nominations. With no theatres open, the movie experience was brought to the living room and this caused the accessibility of the streaming services to take center stage. Films and shows such as, ‘The Mandalorian’ and ‘Soul’ were massively popular in part to this and as well for being an exceptional film according to their peers. SSU Senior Alex Roque claims that Star Wars hit television spin off show caught his attention by having,” a thrilling storyline while containing familiar characters to keep me engaged throughout the show.”

The 78th annual Golden Globes will be streamed online via NBC’s streaming service Peacock, as well as airing live on television as well. The very first fully virtual award ceremony will be based at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles and will have celebrities tune in from around the world performing and celebrating the film industry in whole.