Music auditions now available

exc-6035b50d1a5dd835103524e1
exc-6035b50d1a5dd835103524e1

Sonoma State University’s Music department is highly competitive and educates a very diverse group of students who perform. Currently, the department is holding auditions for prospective students, and deadlines are Feb. 27 and March 31. 

Music auditions logo - Instagram.png

Dr. Lynne Morrow, Director of the SSU Voice Program and Opera and Music Theatre program, stated in a discussion that the first week of every semester there are auditions announced on the music website. Morrow stated also that the voice program and department is a very comprehensive full and serious program training students and teachers, it is a full blown music department, with alternating operas and musicals every year. 

There are ensembles every academic year, all students on campus are able to audition. Classes are to teach and increase the ability to play music as well as enhance performance characteristics especially the ability to perform. Voice majors perform in Junior and Senior recitals, while all majors experience senior recitals. Students must audition, and options include, jazz, chorus, bands, and orchestras. It is certain that students will increase their musical abilities within the SSU music department. Professor Vikki Del Rossario stated, “I have so much respect for the entire SSU community who have persevered in the most challenging academic year. I would like to welcome new students to our program. Please get involved and always reach out when you need help, there are many ways to make a difference and create valuable experiences in this amazing community. Sharing your story and passion for music is the best way to start.” The music department, although tough to get into, is a well-regarded space for artists to increase their craft and continue with their passions. 

Dr. John Palmer Chair of Sonoma State’s department of Music stated that students have to audition to determine aptitude and performing qualities. So just because a student declares a music major doesn’t necessarily mean they’re actually in the program, it is by audition only. Two degrees are offered, BA music and BA in arts, there are multiple concentrations, so there are choices as far as study, they all increase skill in a performance medium. For example, Jazz majors perform, compose, and arrange Jazz, in a composition concentration writing is more the main focus. Music education has the greatest number of students and they do very well with one hundred percent job placement. Palmer said, “They all get jobs, if they choose to get jobs.” Students as well as instructors and directors have and had to learn a lot and, in these times, parts still get put together to produce beautiful compositions. Palmer first concentrated on music history and currently directs the rock ensemble, and musicianship. Students get introduced to music they may not know, starting with the 50’s and moving forward in a rock collegium, students don’t have to be a music major to participate, but students do have to audition. Palmer said, “It’s more than fun, better than fun it is fulfilling and thrilling, it’s a different kind of fun to make it work and sound good, better than fun, extremely fulfilling.” 

So, for those incoming students who have questions about our music program, reach out to someone in the music department, search the SSU website, and look for announcements which can be found on the SSU music departments Instagram. Take some time to ask questions, it doesn’t hurt to ask, and the willingness to help is there. The SSU community remains strong despite challenges and we look forward to returning to campus with some students already back on campus performing. The music department is ready to help students pursue their careers and dreams in the disciplines of music.

For those who graduate, Sonoma State holds a yearly Alumni Concert, found on Sonoma State’s Alumni music department page is a list of alumni concerts that will be performed and when they will be performed. There are also many scholarships available for many students, such as the Tamara Loring scholarship, Roxy Roth scholarship, World of carpets scholarship and more than a dozen more. For current students, scholarship information can also be found on the SSU website under current students here students can also find contact information to address questions. The music department is excited to welcome incoming students, current students, and alumni, to increase the talent pool that is incoming, current, and former students. 

There are a multitude of genres to choose from, and for those who already know their genre there are well educated and adept performers to learn from, and students should not want to miss out on these wonderful opportunites through Sonoma State’s music departmemt.