Family Weekend highlights: Drive-in event

As family weekend approached and passed this weekend here at Sonoma State University, there were many events for students and their families. Activities from the weekend included a plethora of great experiences, virtual and non-virtual. This family weekend involved many but to note a few was, a welcome by Dr. Judy Sakaki as well as other campus administrators, A Green Music Center show featuring the ‘Alphabet Rockers,’ virtual caricatures, learning how to draw peanut characters, how to make snowflake shortbread cookies, making gratitude “lucky me” jars, no bake cookies and cheesecake, DIY peppermint hot chocolate, and of course a drive-in movie.

Family’s registered for events during family weekend through the Seawolf Living website, and SSU encouraged families to get involved in their student’s community and engage in activities during family weekend, it is not only fun and exciting, but it is also inclusive. Even through these times students, family, and people experiencing lockdown, living at home and living virtually, there are still events families and their students can attend. There are many events families and their students can attend.

For more information on future family weekend events, go to the contact us tab in Seawolf living, and a description of each event and what it entails is also available. Viewing this page, parents or students can decide what events to attend, what SSU has to offer, and what activities and events are most suitable for students and family. There is much to choose from, so the Seawolf community wasn’t short on activities. 

Lights, camera, action, a semi filled lot of cars attended the Associated Student Productions drive-in event for ‘Wonder Woman 84’ on Feb. 27, in a lot at Sonoma State University, it opened at 6:30 and the movie started at 7 p.m., Mackenzie Patefield a Senior at SSU who introduced the production stated, “It’s been a great thing to introduce an event back on campus, it’s good for students to have a sense of normalcy and that’s why we plan these events.”

It was a well-organized event with staff and students coming together, staff and students outside the vehicles wearing masks, social distancing, and directing cars to safe positions in the lot at the SSU campus, food and drinks were not available, however, it seemed like students brought their own. Stephania Viziris a senior stated, “I agree with bringing a sense of normalcy back to campus, bringing unity to all students is a way for all of us to be together in a sense, and we’re doing it safely.” 

Before the show began, cars lined up and took positions in front of a large screen that had been set up in the parking lot with a projector shining to it, advertising events and what station to tune in to for the movie. Savannah Blouin a Freshman stated, “Really excited, I like seeing future events, like drag bingo and queer eye, this is also my second time on campus, it’s really pretty.”

Thoughts about how students felt about the production were great, it was a positive experience, Sophomore Christine Plagman stated, “I think it’s really cool they’re doing this, it’s nice to get out of the dorm and be safe, this is the only thing i’ve looked forward to this week.”

Not only a great production in a positive atmosphere the event brought people together and was a way for students to get to know each other. Sophomore Tessa Bradley stated, “It’s great to get out of the dorm and be safe, it’s also a great way to get to know roommates and have a fun time.”

The show went on and at the credits, everyone was able to get out safely, in a clearly organized path, it was a great production from start to finish, and of course, the movie was great too. Sophomore Shardirei Traballo said, “I really appreciate how the school is making the most out of the pandemic. I love to see more events like this! Go Seawolves!”