Black History Month ends with closing ceremony

exc-603ec3e1fe807a1a270d7184
exc-603ec3e1fe807a1a270d7184

On Feb. 25, the closing ceremony begun for Black History Month here at Sonoma State University. It was tremendously led by students and faculty of the school, in specific Mendal Murray, William Haering, and Olivia Chilton with the keynote speaker for the night being Dr. WM. Gregory Sawyer. Throughout the month African American organizations on campus have invited all to join Zoom meetings to learn more about the culture, hardships and triumphs faced in the African American communities. Each week there was a new event for students and community members to attend centered around Black history and experiences.   

BHM Closing Ceremony - STAR.png

Lead speaker Mendall Murray, an academic advisor at Sonoma State opened the ceremony by saying, “I just want to say, all these are just highlights. A lot was packed into this month that is not shown. But through it all, we’ve learned that we’ve cried together, smiled and laughed together. But despite the negative feelings that racism and discrimination may want us to feel, we have proven that the best way to combat hate is with love.”

The ceremony went on to have many beautiful poems by students and faculty members who spoke about their different experiences and what Black History meant for them. The final Zoom conference call for the month taught viewers why Black History Month was in February. The speakers described the reasoning to pay homage to leaders like Frederick Douglass and President Abraham Lincoln whose birthdays are both in February. Frederick Douglass because he was one of the many first African Americans to fight the natural order of affairs and wrote many antislavery pieces. And noteworthy Abraham Lincoln because he was the President who abolished slavery in the United States.

Camille Johnson, a sophomore student-athlete at SSU gave an exceptional poem read during the ceremony. Many students including Johnson gave a small sample of their story in a question-and-answer type interview on the Sonoma State University’s Instagram page on the “I Am Black History Month” saying, “Black History Month is important to me because we celebrate and recognize all the ups and downs black people live through.” 

After the main speakers presented, the students and faculty gave their pieces, the keynote speaker, Dr. Sawyer gave a magnificent speech about what it means to be black in America. His speech centered around Black History being all history, and it is more than just the month of February.

“I am Black History, so when the month of February is over, you know I’m not. I am still here! I am going to keep making history, recording our stories, and changing our lives. When the month ends I ain’t going nowhere. No month defines me or limits me. A month matters little in a history that spans a thousand years” said Dr. Sawyer.  

Dr. Sawyer went on to describe that just because the month is over, the communities around the world will continue to shed light and wisdom on new things.  Dr. Sawyer’s speech was directly to African Americans when describing, “I am Black History”. He went into great detail about how he and all people are a part of history and that everyone should be proud of black history. Dr. Sawyer illustrated that a person should make a difference on this earth and when he or she passes it shall be known that the earth is now a better place because I was there.

The closing ceremony closed and Black History shall be celebrated in all months, not just the month of February.