Sonoma Film Institute starts spring season

exc-603ec5ec63f577211a7b47ff
exc-603ec5ec63f577211a7b47ff

The Sonoma Film Institute (SFI) has been around since 1973, which makes it the oldest film repertory in the North Bay. The Institute is located on the Sonoma State University campus and works closely with the Arts and Humanities Department to coordinate events with the SSU curriculum. 

Sonoma Film Institute Logo - SSU.png

The Institute’s purpose is to educate and expand the cultural horizons of the campus and community. Eleanor Nichols, the director of SFI, said, “I try to show as broad a range of films as possible, ranging from silent cinema to the avant-garde, from contemporary American fare to films from the Third World.” 

This semester, SFI is showing seven films, all free to students. The semester kicked off with “Citizens of the World,” released in 2019, and “My Little Sister” released in 2020. Up next is “Test Pattern,” released in 2019, showing from Fri. Mar. 5 through Sun. Mar. 7 and “Coded Bias” (2020) from the weekend of Mar. 19 through Mar. 21. 

Nichols said that she chose “Test Pattern” and “Coded Bias” specifically for Women’s History Month. “Test Pattern” is about a Black woman seeking medical attention for a sexual assault. “Coded Bias,” is a documentary examining the errors in facial recognition technologies’ perception of race and gender. Both films are directed by Shatara Michelle Ford and Shalini Kantayya, both women of color, and were made by people of color and women in science. 

For students interested in watching any of the films on the SFI film schedule, contact Eleanor Nichols directly a day before the screening, her information can be found on the SSU website on the SFI page. The films are also available to the public, rental information is available on the SFI webpage. 

“Test Pattern,” the next film on the SFI schedule, was released in 2019. This is the first feature film by writer and director Shatara Michelle Ford. The film has been recognized with awards from Blackstar Film Festival, deadCenter Film Festival and New Orleans Film Festival. 

In 82 minutes, Ford tells the story of Renesha, a Black woman who is reeling from a sexual assault, being dragged around the city by her white boyfriend in search of a rape kit. The races of Renesha and her boyfriend, Evan, are important to note, as Ford examines the couple’s relationship and the broader issues of race and gender in medicine. With intimate shots of a happy relationship, tiny details to illustrate the passage of time and subtle music to set the viewer on edge, “Test Pattern” is a moving drama and thriller. 

The next film screening will be “Coded Bias” which will be screened Fri. Mar. 19 through Sun. Mar. 21. The documentary, directed by Shalini Kantayya, follows the research of Joy Buolamwini and her discovery that artificial intelligence has a racial bias. 

The Sonoma Film Institute is an important and valuable asset to the community and has shared a diverse catalog of films with the public since 1973. The Institute relies on support and donations from the community to continue screening unique films. If you are interested in making a donation, check out the Sonoma Film Institute webpage on the SSU website.