Spoke! poetry and spoken word event begin at SSU

exc-6047e81465e25326984b8c88
exc-6047e81465e25326984b8c88

What a wonderful world, what wonders there may be, indeed it is a treat to speak, and find out who will seek, to those who listen, a word is called. In due time the answers we may find, what is said, comes from the heart and the mind, to express is to learn and to learn to express, to write, and to meet together as one. Where could one find this location of this poetic community, it is “Spoke!” the show happened on. March 6, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.

51011048862_a172a5d898_o.png

Seawolf’s gathered on Zoom for the event “Spoke!” a spoken word, poetry and writing workshop, where students can learn and express. It was a great way to hear some original work and read it, as well as write and express creatively themselves. Event details could be found in Seawolf living, and this event was a great way for students to share ideas in an artistic way. It was also a great opportunity and outlet to hear and be heard.

Poetry and spoken word have long been an artistic expression of one’s soul, the event Spoke provided a safe space for students to be creative and artistic in the realm of spoken word and poetry, and most importantly to share how they felt, and are feeling. Katie Silva a senior at Sonoma State University and host for the event stated, “I think that spoke is a great event that the HUB puts on, apple brings an artistic perspective, whether or not that’s their own work, the HUB overall is a great cultural center making sure that underrepresented students have a place to be or talk about their identity, which is an important part from an artistic perspective.”

The Zoom meeting on Sat. was just getting started, and the audience included myself from the Star, another journalist, and the two hosts of the event. My colleague and I stayed to participate in the event since being there also included the two hosts, who spoke about changing the day and time, as this initial event was a test run to see how it would turn out.

Will Samuelson, a Sophomore at SSU stated, “Excited to have this space especially because it’s just a really great space to meet other people interested in writing.” A great space for writing it was, and the HUB would like to encourage more students to get involved and check out the more events in the future.

Since this initial event only garnered a total attendance of four people total, regardless it was an enjoyable event and a great way to meet other students. It would have been great to see more faces and hear more voices, so if Seawolves are interested, go check out future events including the next “Spoke!”.

The joy in expression and writing can be felt and enjoyed especially when feeling and enjoying others works and being able to share with others. It is an important piece of our culture to write, hear and be heard, with that being said, there is hope for the next event that their will be a great turn out, it is the students who will make that happen, get the art following and the entertainment going, students check out the HUB and attend the next “Spoke!” event.