The Wine Road event returns in May with protocols

exc-6047ea4661c5665630140ce8
exc-6047ea4661c5665630140ce8

The pandemic has not only been a tragic and deadly threat to the world, it has also thrown a wrench into a lot of things over the past year, whether it be school, work, or entertainment. School has been mostly online as Sonoma State University students know, and many people have found themselves without a job and struggling to make ends meet. On top of it all, the majority of entertainment events have been cancelled so there is no real relief. 

Barrel Tasting - Star.jpg

Thankfully, with vaccines coming out and the use of existing preventative measures, things are starting to open up again. One of the events coming back this year is Barrel Tasting in Sonoma County. The Wine Road, an association of lodgings and wineries in Sonoma County, announced March 1 that there will be a smaller version of the event in May. 

The Wine Road was founded in 1976 starting with a modest association of nine wineries. As of now, The Wine Road is a network of 200 wineries and 50 lodgings. According to their website, the organization’s mission is “…to increase awareness of Alexander, Dry Creek and Russian River Valleys through education and marketing while promoting Sonoma County as the year-round wine country destination.” To accomplish this, The Wine Road serves as a resource for visitors and locals of Sonoma County alike. 

There are three major events that The Wine Road hosts over the course of the year, one during the winter, spring and fall. In Jan. there is Winter WINEland, Barrel Tasting in March and a Wine and Food Affair in Nov. This year, however, Barrel Tasting will be happening a little later in the year.

The 44th Annual Barrel Tasting will take place May 24 through May 30, 2021. The event will be scaled back in order to keep winery staff and guests safe. At the event, guests can expect to meet winemakers and learn about wine making. Another aspect of the event is buying “futures”. According to Sotheby’s, an art and luxury organization, “Buying Futures- also known as en primeur- means purchasing wine that is still maturing in the barrel and has not yet been bottled.” 

A list of wineries participating in the event will be available by April 19 on The Wine Road website and a detailed program including wines that will be offered will be available May 1. Information about the event and how to get tickets is available on The Wine Road website and their Instagram, Facebook and Twitter accounts.

SSU students have gone to Barrel Tasting in many years past, including senior Natalie Gomez. Gomez attended the event in 2020 and said of her experience, “It sort of felt like a right of passage being a college student in wine country.” When asked if she would be attending the event this year, Gomez said she will probably be too busy working but, “…hopefully others still get the chance to experience it and have a good time, safely of course.” 

Tyler Chase, an SSU senior, has also attended the event before. Chase said, “Barrel Tasting was a great experience to enjoy and learn about wine with friends, I’m excited to see that they will be continuing the event and taking all precautions.” 

For students living in Sonoma County or surrounding areas, this is certainly an event to attend.