All-State Music Education Conference brings educators and students together

exc-6047eb80b53f8d7e91782034
exc-6047eb80b53f8d7e91782034

Several students from the Sonoma State National Association for Music Education collegiate chapter along with faculty from the Music Education program represented Sonoma State University at this year’s annual California All-State Music Education Conference. The conference is attended by thousands of music educators and students from all across California. 

Music All-State Conference - SSU.jpg

The California All-State Music Education Conference (CASMEC) is aimed at bringing together music educators and students for a series of clinics and exhibits that are hands-on and concentrated on professional development. 

The conference is put on by the California Choral Directors Association. According to their website their goal is to, “Present diverse cultural, artistic, and educational programming and guest artists who encourage and support diversity. Repertoire lists for honor choirs and reading sessions always strive to reflect the diversity of the state of California.”

Assistant Professor of Music and Coordinator of Music Education Dr. Kim Mieder along with Brandon Binder, a music educator at Rincon Valley Middle school presented the clinic “They Have to Practice Without You Now,” which focused on how educators can prepare students to practice on their own in a virtual world. Dr. Mieder stated, “I have presented clinics annually on my research in Self-Regulated Learning in Music at CASMEC since I started at SSU in 2018.”

Students Matthew Bowker, Natalie Cucina, Lilly Chavez and Sierra Smith from the Sonoma State NAfMe Collegiate Chapter stepped into the role of educators as they presented their own clinic, “Benefits of Hands-on Learning and Community Outreach” at the conference. According to Matthew Bowker, a Music Education major and President of the SSU NAfME chapter, the clinic, “focused on the importance of hands-on learning and community outreach. This was geared towards other college students and how they can bring these ideas to their schools.”

Presentations that are given at the conference must be submitted for review by the CASMEC board before being selected. The SSU NAfME chapter which is largely student run, put together their presentation and were selected out of the many schools that submit proposals for clinics. 

Making the transition from student to educator can be intimidating, Bowker said, “The experience presenting was very stressful but very rewarding. This is the first time SSU students are presenting on behalf of our chapter so there was some added pressure to do well,” adding, “I gained a lot of experience from this and will definitely take it well into the future.” 

Those that attended the ‘Benefits of Hands-On Learning and Community Outreach’ clinic ranged from, “SSU NAfME students to NAfME students from different colleges across the state to SSU music ed alumni that are now teachers,” stated Music Education Major and NAfMe chapter member Natalie Cucina 

As well as presenting their own clinic, students attended several clinics for their own professional development. “In addition to our own clinic I attended a variety of others including a session on teaching elementary general music through rhythm, a session about advocating and accommodating for students with disabilities, and a session that discussed some generic tips for being a high school band director,” said Cucina. 

Along with the presentations given, there was also a “virtual exhibit” for prospective students to view while attending the conference. Since the conference is attended by students in middle and high school the presence and presentations by SSU students and faculty are an immense recruitment tool for future Music program students. 

While the conference has been in-person in the past they adapted the conference to an online setting due to the pandemic, “I am hopeful that we will be able to attend in person in 2022,” stated Natalie Cucina.