Wake us up when September ends

exc-54495328e4b00ed4519e1338
exc-54495328e4b00ed4519e1338

Twelve years ago this month, our country was brutally attacked by terrorists. This act took the lives of firefighters, soldiers, and many innocent civilians. 

According to New York Magazine, on September 11, 2001 approximately 2,753 lives were taken.     

This one act of terrorism changed the United States of America forever. While the USA has come closer together, it has also caused the country to become more divided. Sadly, many people look at those from the Middle East with scared eyes. Just as security has tightened at airports, now people can’t get on a plane without the fear that someone snuck on with a bomb, or serious weapon. 

9/11 is now known as Patriot Day in our country. To many Americans this is day to reflect and remember the innocent lives that were taken. But as the years pass, many Americans have chosen not to take the day to reflect because they do not want to dwell on the horrible tragedy. On the Sonoma State Confessions page, a comment was left which spoke of this viewpoint. The person made the point of saying that we should not focus on the horrors of 9/11, and that we don’t continue to remember Pearl Harbor in the same way.

While there is a point to be made there, each American has their own way of mourning on national tragedies, and one should not disrespect that. We as a country take pride in our patriotism, and that should not be disregarded. 

The terrorist attack that took place in New York City 12 years ago,should be a day that is always respected. It was a day that took many mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, grandmas and grandpas, and many other loved ones from their beloved families. 

We, as Americans, unite under the idea of patriotism, and stand up for one another. It is what makes our country unique. 

Each and every American should never forget what happened on 9/11. That being said, each has the right to express their feelings in their own way. 

9/11 helps us to remember how we can unite as a country to be strong, and to remember the heroes who risked their lives.