Modern love: this generation’s lack of connection

exc-546e263be4b0c13ac466f496
exc-546e263be4b0c13ac466f496

The culture of dating has changed with the advancement of technology in the 21st century. Although we still interact in person on a daily basis, much of our communication has become reliant on Facebook, text messaging and other social networks.

People nowadays use phrases such as “Is it Facebook official?” and “Are you guys texting?” to know whether or not two people are interested in each other. Oftentimes Facebook is the only way that people know whether or not someone is single or taken. 

It seems as if people these days rely on texting as the only mode of communication to talk to others that they are interested in potentially dating. In some cases they won’t even talk to each other when they see each other in person because they believe it to be “awkward.”

Also, we are in the age in which we are forced to watch numerous commercials for online dating sites, such as Eharmony, Match.com, Zoosk and many others. These sites inform us that our chances of finding a significant other are much more likely to occur online, rather than in an in-person interaction. 

According to a study in the New York Daily News, which was conducted by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, one-third of married couples in the United States today meet online. It was also found that these couples were slightly happier than couples who met through other means.

We found evidence for a dramatic shift since the advent of the internet in how people are meeting their spouse,” said John Cacioppo, who helped lead a study regarding this in the University of Chicago’s department of psychology.

Although online dating sites seem to be proven to be very successful for a lot of people, I have never been one to trust online dating. This is because it’s so easy to twist and manipulate one’s identity through the anonymity of the internet.

I’m sure many of you have heard of MTV’s show called “Catfish.” For those who have not, it is a show in which a group of guys goes out in search of someone who is in an online relationship and who wants to meet the person they have been talking to through text or online.

Unfortunately many of these lovebirds end up being tricked, as most of the people they have been talking to end up being false identities. Thus the term “catfished” has come to fruition in this generation. It describes a situation in which a person has been tricked into falling in love with someone who isn’t real.

Because of reasons like this, I personally do not try to meet people online. Sure Facebook and text messaging are great ways of getting to know someone when you are too busy to see each other in person, but a face-to-face interaction is something that cannot be replaced. In a face-to-face interaction you are able to read a person’s body language and feed off of their energy. 

It can also be much more rewarding, as you can really get to know someone and have fun with them. 

Personally, I am not ashamed to say that I am a fan of movies such as “The Notebook.” I believe in classic romanticism, if that’s what you want to call it. I really encourage everyone  to get out there and at least take a shot at a romantic gesture with someone you are interested in. 

Even if you get shot down, at least you tried. It shows much more bravery and courage to the girl or guy you are interested in, and it could ultimately pay off. 

Social networks can be helpful, but don’t rely on technology alone to meet and maintain relationships with potential significant others.

I believe that at this time in our lives, dating does not really exist. Often, people just like to have “no-strings attached” relationships or just meet up at parties.

I encourage you to put yourself out there and do something bold. Who knows, you might just meet your future husband or wife.