SSU measures up against junior college

How does Sonoma State compare to a two-year university? Considering I spent four years at Santa Rosa Junior College and only five weeks at Sonoma State, I have a very personal answer to this question.

There are many things offered at Sonoma State University that the SRJC doesn’t have. First, sororities are a new concept for me. SRJC had a few, but at Sonoma State, they are everywhere. 

It is almost impossible to turn a corner without seeing Greek letters. Sororities and fraternities are great for helping build a community on campus for its students. Students simply do not see this type of community at SRJC.

As a transfer student, I attended the transfer orientation, which is much smaller than the first-time freshman orientation, but still just as helpful. 

The greatest part of the orientation, which made me thrilled to become an official Sonoma State student, was the Recreation Center. 

I was paying almost $50 a month to work out at a gym. That is $600 a year. Not to mention the rock wall in the Recreation Center is amazing. Regular gyms don’t usually come with those, and the junior college certainly doesn’t have one. 

On another note, stale Spanish rice with watered down refried beans, wrapped in a tortilla for $7.50 is offered at SRJC. Nobody should complain about the food served at SSU if they have not eaten at SRJC. 

It might as well be a five star restaurant here. I was completely taken aback by the SSU cafeteria. It has become my favorite place to eat, whether meeting a friend or grabbing a quick bite on my lunch break. How great is it? I get to choose the type of lettuce, and then the staff mixes the salad together with whatever toppings I am in the mood for. 

The other day I ventured out of the salad line to find the burritos (which are my favorite food), and they are pretty good. The burritos might not be Taqueria good, but a thousand times better than what the JC was offering.  

This semester there was a larger acceptance rate than in past years, and because of that parking for SSU has been challenging, according to other students I have talked to. That said, I’ve never once been unable to find a parking spot. 

At SRJC, it is common knowledge to give yourself a minimum of a half an hour before class to try and find a parking spot. Common practice is to follow students who walk into the parking lot and stalk them in hopes to take it.   

To describe my experience at Sonoma State in one word it would be: spoiled.