“Get Out” a modern day horror story

exc-58b4c2a93e00be649a5e236f
exc-58b4c2a93e00be649a5e236f

It’s a sunny day just like any other and you are on your way to visit your girlfriend’s parent’s home for the first time. You are a part of an interracial relationship, and you just happen to be black and she just happens to be white, but this can’tbe a big deal; it’s 2017… right? But when you arrive, her parents seem friendly, they seem normal, yet the groundskeeper and housekeeper are a black man and woman,  give you a concerning glare and establish the prospect that something is not quite right.

This is only the beginning of the distorted reality of Jordan Peele’s visually spectacular creation “Get Out.” The film took the meaning of suspense to an entirely new level. The viewer is left with an overpowering sense of hopelessness. It was exceedingly impossible to predict what was going to happen next. Each scene was vital and around every corner was something genuinely unanticipated. It was this sense of hopeless, uncomfortable fear that was justly terrifying.

Every aspect of the film added to its plausibility. The writing, the camera angles, different uses of point-of-view and the actors all made the story incredible and believable. The shots split perspective and drew the eye to further nerve-wrecking aspects within a scene. The dialogue brought the audience on a rollercoaster from optimism and expectations to doubt and misperception. That “funny feeling” was always present and the lines between truth and lies only further blurred as the story progressed.

While the acting was phenomenal across the board, Daniel Kaluuya’s performance was distinctly amazing. Kaluuya, an English actor more commonly known for his characters on the UK shows “Skins” and “Black Mirror,” played the lead character Chris. His emotions, feelings and innermost thoughts seemingly pierced through camera. What he felt, the audience felt. In the movie, his character’s deepest trauma is psychologically used against him and his mind is toyed with in various ways. His portrayal of things of this nature, of psychological warfare and very human emotion drawn from present and past trauma was more than anything believable and realistic. It was a truly amazing performance from Kaluuya yet also of every actor. There was never an instance that the mind was taken aback from the realm of this film, regardless of how bad you wanted to “get out,” it was simply that well done.

What remained extremely essential and appreciated as well throughout the movie was the comedic relief. Quick bursts of entirely off guard hilarity exposed within the writing. Certain expressions and subtleties provided guarded comfort and additional readability into the threatened characters. The aid of humor was present and well executed, yet it did not overpower the genre of the film. It was overwhelmingly horrific and Peele’s embedded comedy only made the film better in its entirety.

This movie is doing extremely well with critics and audiences so far, with a 100% certified fresh rating on the notoriously critical site Rotten Tomatoes.

Ultimately, the film played on present day racial tension. It’sa modern day horror story, with an exceptionally accurate portrayal of a racial apprehension descendent from a more than questionable past of race relations in the United States.