Take a stroll through Sonoma’s sculpture trails

exc-607632cbe89e700c272b2ee3
exc-607632cbe89e700c272b2ee3

One attraction gaining popularity in the Northern area of Sonoma County is that of exploring sculpture trails which allow visitors to admire creativity in a tangible way. There are various exhibits that document historical moments in people’s lives and their communities.

Sculpture Trail Horse Pic - STAR.jpg

Writer Patricia Lynn Henley, Sonoma County expert, reports in Geyserville, Calif. when one gets off the Canyon Road Exit and travels between the north and south ends of this trail, they can observe over 25 sculptures amidst the start and end points. One notable sculpture from this trail named “Victory,” is a tall horse made by artist Bryan Tedrick. This large statue demonstrates the resilience of the communities alongside it, those affected by wildfires who have grounded themselves after surviving devastating events. 

Other works within this unique trail include “Shimmer” by Hynch Philip, “Blue Grass” by Joe Bologna, “Windows” by David Mudgett, and “The Chase” by Dan Good. She also mentions that the entirety of the Geyserville Sculpture Trail is sponsored by the Geyserville Community Foundation, which displays the collection of work in order from south to north. 

In Cloverdale, Calif., the downtown area is home to the Clovertown Sculpture Trail, produced by the Cloverdale Historical Society. In this area, the town highlights 12 different pieces throughout the year. One dynamic learning activity would be to participate in the audio self guided tour of the trail that explains each element of the trail. 

Both of these towns offer an experience with quality art, history, and dynamic historical landscapes that tell stories to visitors. There is something special about a piece of art that one can grasp as a literal figure in front of them, that aids their perception of historical events as time progresses. Visiting this attraction would be simple to do while following Sonoma County’s regulations regarding social distancing. This venue could also be a potential host for field trips and schools to eventually return to. 

In the meantime, there is online access to the trail map and an overview of the sculptures for people to learn from. There are various ways to explore these trails, but regardless of the method the art one observes stands out and tells a story from history and/or passion that allows it to be possible. There is a great range of art throughout these sculptures that let creativity motivate artists and their intentions truthfully. 

Because these trails are always showcasing different works, one can revisit the same places while appreciating a diverse set of artistic ideas. These trails are very close to the heart of the food and beverage scene in Sonoma County, with plenty of choices to consider for either before or after a visit to see these sculptures. These towns continue to breathe life into some certain historical topics by creatively telling the stories of past generations. 

Sonoma County ultimately has an experience for everyone to enjoy and learn from and as restrictions continue to be lifted different experiences will start to return and our new normal will slowly set in. Although vaccinations have been somewhat elusive, access for all is continuing to expand as time goes on. In fact, according to the website provided by the Sonoma County Government, the county’s population has already achieved a 25% vaccine milestone, aiding in the continuation of local reopening’s. Ultimately, safe and informational attractions have and will continue to serve their purpose in neighboring communities.