Invisible relationships, it’s all for the show

exc-54c75a63e4b0da34c29dda98
exc-54c75a63e4b0da34c29dda98

As many of you may have already realized, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. 

Honestly, how could you not with all the heart decorations, bags of chocolates and TV commercials reminding us to get a gift for our special someone?

What if you’re single? 

For those who are fed up with others asking about their love lives, two new applications were recently created in order to try and help called “Invisible Boyfriend/Girlfriend.” 

After being featured in an article on a well-known website, Buzzfeed, the applications began to thrive. 

With a one-time small fee, the buyer of the app actually gets to go through a library of profiles in order to pick whoever they want to start their fake relationship with. You then make up a story of how the two of you met. 

As if that’s not strange enough, voicemails, text messages and even hand-written letters are provided in order to make it more believable. 

The company behind these applications went so far as to state on their website that the reason behind their creation was to give people their lives back. 

One of the co-founders was a divorced man with a prying mother who would constantly ask when he planned on bringing a new woman around. 

He wanted both of these sites to give those who purchase a fake boyfriend or girlfriend the freedom from any infuriating relationship questions. 

I can understand getting annoyed at the questioning from others. However, to actually spend money in order to take part in a bogus relationship is something that seems a bit farfetched. 

At the very least, dating websites such as Match.com, eHarmony or even the newly popular Tinder, have a purpose to set up two single people in hopes of sparking something between them. 

With these applications, the purpose is to create a way for people to lie to those in their life that care enough to ask questions about it. 

However, if someone’s willing to lie to this extent, I feel it might actually be for a good reason. 

The ‘Invisible Girlfriend/Boyfriend’ application isn’t really a problem. The real problem is the pressure put on singles to be in constant search for their special someone. 

Within society, the relationship status of a person has become such a topic of interest that it begins to categorize a person. 

“Single”, “taken” or “it’s complicated” are just some of the multiple options used to define a person’s relationship status on the ever so popular website, Facebook. 

Today six out of every 10 Americans use social-networking sites; which tends to transform the way people experience their romantic relationships.

Not only do we have to answer personal questions on social media, but also to those involved in our lives. 

It’s not always the easiest of topics to talk about. Some people may be faced with loneliness, which causes them to take drastic measures in order to hide it—like creating a fake relationship. 

How could we care so much about how people perceive us that we’d be willing to pay to create a fake relationship?

While some people can be completely content without having a serious relationship, there are others who can’t take the questioning that can come from family or friends about why they aren’t with anyone. 

I feel that is when the idea that something’s wrong with being single can begin to sink in. Truth is, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. 

Being content in life has more to do with yourself than it does with anyone else.