Film Program plans 50th anniversary of Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘The Godfather’

exc-607633577af27e5986c5493f
exc-607633577af27e5986c5493f

The Sonoma State film program is planning an event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Francis Ford Coppola’s “The Godfather” in 2022. 

The event, which is still in its early planning stages, will potentially include a screening of the movie and possibly its sequels, interviews and discussions with the people responsible for the film, and a film scholar or critic to discuss the film.

Francis Ford Coppola Winery - Facebook.png

The Dean of the School of Arts & Humanities, Dr. Hollis Robbins, wrote in an email, “We are planning to invite key people involved in the making of ‘The Godfather’, including scholars, actors, and people involved with the production. We would be particularly delighted if the director, Francis Ford Coppola, joined us.”

The event would be one or two days, and “would include talks by scholars of the film, talking about its impact and legacy on filmmaking, talks about the making of the film, and talks about specific aspects of the film, such as the memorable score by Nino Rota,” she continued.

Dr. Marco Calavita, who came up the idea for a 50th anniversary celebration wrote in an email, “With all of the technological advancements of recent years and the immediate access young people have to virtually any kind of entertainment they want, I think the appreciation and awareness of older and classic movies — the kind that aren’t typically on Netflix, for instance — has been declining. I think it is always good to promote that kind of cultural and cinematic literacy when we can.”

Both Robbins and Calavita explained that interest in this film was enhanced because the director, Francis Ford Coppola, has ties to the North bay area. Coppola owns a winery in Geyserville, and Calavita said that celebrating his film fits right in at Sonoma State.

Regardless of locality, potentially having people who made the “The Godfather” speak at SSU would be a great experience for students and faculty alike. 

The film itself secured three Oscars in 1973; one for Best Picture, Best Writing and Adapted Screenplay, and Best Actor in a Leading Role, among several other nominations. References to the movie are still present in contemporary productions that range from commercial advertisements to movies and television shows.

Robbins wrote, “We are expecting that students will gain a great deal from this event… Students who are interested in careers in film will learn a great deal… including an understanding of what goes into making such a groundbreaking film.”

Professor Edward Beebout, the current communications department chair wrote in an email, “Not only is it a landmark film whose director is a North bay resident, but it also ties in nicely with our department’s effort to launch a Cinematic Arts BA degree program in fall of 2022.” 

The major will be an extension of film minor offered through the communications department. Robbins wrote that Professor Talena Sanders, who is the current coordinator of the minor, is working on expanding the minor to a major, and Beebout wrote that the major will be for students with interests in filmmaking and video production.

While the 50th anniversary celebration of “The Godfather” is still in its early stages, and for now sits as an idea that the communications department hopes will become a reality, it provides students with something to look forward to when it’s safe to go back to campus completely.

Calavita wrote, “I think it will be a great opportunity for the community and Sonoma State to come together and celebrate movies and our love of movies, and to point toward Sonoma State’s growing dedication to making and studying films as art and as entertainment.”