President Obama’s constitutional right

exc-56d62b1207eaa0cb9283b43f
exc-56d62b1207eaa0cb9283b43f

Columnist Naaman Hightower

Columnist Naaman Hightower

“My job is to fulfill our constitutional duties,” said current President of the United States Barack Obama.  One would think that this statement is redundant; what else is the president supposed to do? An outpouring of political outrage brought against the president rose after the unexpected death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. Now, with a new Supreme Court replacement who needs to be appointed in our president’s last 11 months in office, all eyes are on Obama.

If you were expecting an article filled with the political back-and-forth, debating of Democratic and Republican nominees, look elsewhere. When looking at political figures, I try to simply evaluate character. Unlike Presidential Candidate Donald Trump, who last week threatened to punch a man at a press conference, President Obama chooses his words carefully when speaking about the empty court seat at Scalia’s eulogy.

“For almost 30 years, Antonin Nino Scalia was a larger than life presence on the bench. A brilliant legal mind with an energetic style, concise wit and energetic opinion. He will no doubt be remembered as one of the most consequential judges and thinkers to serve on the Supreme Court.”

flickr.com

flickr.com

When looking at his eulogy in entirety, one would have to ask themselves: Why is Obama getting so much flack about appointing a new Supreme Court justice? He clearly has the character and judgment to be able to appoint a new justice. After all, it’s his constitutional right! Most of the heat is due to the fact that Obama is in his last 11 months of his term. This is just another attempt at pettifogging Obama. In other words, people are placing undue emphasis on the fact that Obama has an entire year left to appoint a Supreme Court justice. Ex-President George Bush took out a 700 billion dollar bailout during the end of his presidency, yet he did not nearly receive the amount of flack Obama did.

The media selectively targets Obama for anything he does that tows the line of questionability. Instead of focusing on bigger issues such as ISIS, our humongous incarceration problem, the presidential candidates and more, the news unfairly targets Obama on a small issue as this.

Don’t get me wrong, who sits in our Supreme Court after Scalia is important, but instead of questioning Obama’s judgment, why are not questioning the judgment of President Bush’s choices for Supreme Court justice, whom still hold positions in the court? This is the president that left Obama a 1.4 trillion dollar deficit along with big mess to clean up as president.

All I’m asking for is consistency. The media finds the smallest issues to attack the president over simply to raise tension. It’s inhumane and frankly, immature.