UC schools to accept more students

exc-570c4fbb62cd9435b5233963
exc-570c4fbb62cd9435b5233963

Columnist Diana Arroyo.

Columnist Diana Arroyo.

There is no greater feeling than getting that acceptance letter from the college of your dreams. After a long time of waiting, being accepted into the place where you’ll further develop your education is a big step in anyone’s life. California has some of the best public colleges, state universities as well as Universities of California.

For the 10 Universities of California, it’s been confirmed there was a 15 percent boost in acceptance rates over the last year. Theadmissions to minorities grew significantly as well, Latinos representing 32 percent and African-Americans totaling 4.7 percent of all freshmen admitted.

UCs have had a reputation of being a bit more competitive than state schools across California. This means higher GPA qualifications, a personal letter and overall more volunteer and leadership involvement. These quarter-system schools are difficult to get into butwith this rate it has become easier for some and that’s good news.

In past years the UCs had been hurting its own California students by admitting too many students from other states and countries. With this, there was an 8.9 percent increase over the last year of admitted non-Californians. That’s unfairto the locals hoping to go to school nearby or just in-state.

The UC claims this isn’t true.

“We’ve intensified our efforts to boost enrollment of Californians at the Universities, and all indications are that these efforts are working,” UC President Janet Napolitano said in a statement Monday. “Our commitment to California and California students has never wavered, even through the worst financial downturn since the Great Depression. Now, with additional state funding, we are able to bring in even more California students.”

In a deal made with Gov. Jerry Brown and the Legislature for $25 million state dollars, UC agreed to admit 5,000 more California students for fall 2016.

This enrollment was capped in the three most popular schools, University of California Los Angeles, Berkeley and San Diego.

In addition to the 62.7 percent increased rate for California students who applied, 43 percent were the first in their families to attend college as well. That is an exciting and empowering action for many of the minorities in this state and country as well. Typically, students of different roots have a more difficult time applying and being accepted into these prestigious schools.

First-generation college students have increased in the past years. Being able to step out and go to college in general is something they are immensely proud of. The families they come from, who haven’t had the same opportunities, as well as watching their children take big steps in their education is what they hoped for.

Overall, UCs expanded the number of freshmen offered admission to 98,922 from 87,759 last year. This is great news for all students who are thinking of attending these schools whether right after high school or transferring. They will now have a higher chance to get into these schools for a hope in having a better education and future.