Flint, Michigan still has no clean water

exc-57f4392d8419c2c18ba768a4
exc-57f4392d8419c2c18ba768a4

Columnist Travis Adams

Columnist Travis Adams

The residents of Flint, Michigan will likely still be without government aid in regards to the almost three-year-long catastrophe involving the contaminated drinking water.
It’s unimaginable to many of us how the local and state government hasn’t been held more accountable with regards to this public health issue.
Without question, the government should have taken the steps to solve this problem within 12 hours after the majority of Americans became aware of it in January, and that in itself is disgracefully late.
This is where it gets grim.
Anywhere from six to 12 thousand children have been exposed to the contamination by drinking and showering with water riddled with more lead than you or I could ever imagine.
This all began on Apr. 25, 2014, when the city of Flint switched its water supply from the city of Detroit’s to the nearby Flint River. The change was made as a cost saving measure. Within days, the city received hundreds of emails and phone calls from concerned citizens with regards to their running water, pertaining to the water’s color and odor.
In response to the complaints, state regulators insisted the water was completely safe. Soon after, an exponential amount of lead was found in a particular home of a Flint resident. The city then called the Environmental Protection Agency to conduct a series of tests. The EPA verified the water met the standards, and that a serious contamination of lead pipes was a premature conclusion to be made.
On Oct. 1, 2015, an independent task force was sent to the city of Flint to review the water use. On Jan. 5, 2016, Governor Snyder called a state of emergency in Genesee County, Michigan. After two whole years of missconstrued information, helpless citizens were finally told, by the same elected officials that told them they had nothing to worry about, that they were now playing host to a national crisis.
This was in January of this year. Here we are in the first days of October catching wind of the possible induction of the acting process backed by the United States government.
Without question, aid for Flint is long overdue. However, the Republicans on the house floor are willing to pass legislation to aid Flint as long as communities in Louisiana are helped as well. At first glance, there seems to be nothing wrong with that, but here is a subject matter one should not overlook.
The GOP has refused to consider moving this bill along in the house until house Republicans make the aid to the communities in Louisiana a priority, keeping in mind Louisiana is a red state.

nbcnews.com

nbcnews.com

A deal has been made, but it’s not necessarily the support the city of Flint needs and deserves right now.
The reality of the situation from insiders on Capitol Hill is that maybe substantial solutions will come to the city of Flint after the election.
The Republicans have frivolously took a stance that they, under no circumstances, were going to get involved with the catastrophe in Flint.
However the Republicans decided to levy for “their cause” when they decided the communities affected by the floods in Louisiana would also receive government funding.
The people have once again dealt with the brunt of these two parties not being able to reach a legitimate, constructive decision without bargaining, even in the face of thousands of kids incurring brain damage. The reality of the situation is more than alarming, it’s disturbing.