Trump’s misogyny is called into question…again

exc-57f43a929de4bbb225587764
exc-57f43a929de4bbb225587764

Columnist Lindsey Huffman

Columnist Lindsey Huffman

With elections quickly approaching, there have been many issues regarding Donald Trump’s stance towards women.
Media has been fluttering for the past several months and even years with multiple situations where Trump talks about women as objects rather than individuals. His poor treatment of women makes me question whether this person is the face we want to represent the United States. But at this point, does it even matter what he says when his followers won’t change their minds when it comes down to making that final vote?
Alicia Machado, who represented Venezuela in Donald Trump’s ‘Miss Universe’ competition in 1996, says Donald Trump publicly shamed her. Machado has spoken out about how Trump was degrading and rude towards her after she won Miss Universe in a video published this week by CNN. She claims Trump called her ‘Miss Piggy’ after gaining 20 pounds post Miss Universe, and ‘Miss Housekeeping’ due to the fact she is of Latin descent.
In all reality, this is public humiliation and body shaming. After the competition was over, Trump made her demonstrate workouts in front of multiple news cameras and reporters and said, “She’s been a great Miss Universe, but like me and everyone else, she likes to eat.”
Machado is not alone. Women like Rosie O’Donnell, Kim Kardashian and even his own wife, Melania Trump, have all been shamed by his words. If he is so willing to shame his wife, what makes Trump’s followers think they won’t be shamed or humiliated by him too?  

Alicia Machado. Time.com

Alicia Machado. Time.com

“I saw a woman who was totally beautiful. She was angry that so many men were calling her,” said Trump in an explicit interview with Howard Stern. “‘How dare they call me?’ It’s terrible…they’re all looking at my breasts’ so she had a major breast reduction. The good news, nobody calls her anymore.”
The fact that he draws attention to the idea that men won’t call this woman anymore because she has smaller breasts, is outrageous and degrading. Following the interview with Stern, he told Washington Post, “If I knew I would run, I may have avoided Stern.”
Women throughout the country are becoming stronger and stronger in the workplace, but Trump’s views on women working is pretty straight forward.
“I think that putting a wife to work is a very dangerous thing,” Trump said in an interview with ABC News correspondent, Nancy Collins, in 1994. “I have days where I think it’s great. And then I have days where, if I come home — and I don’t want to sound too much like a chauvinist — but when I come home and dinner’s not ready, I go through the roof,” he said.
Is this the person we want as our President, someone who has time and time again shamed women throughout his powerful years in our media? Trump obviously doesn’t hold women to the same standard as men, even though women have made significant strides in not only the workplace, but education as well.
Voting for Trump will put America back another 50 years and leave women fighting for our rights all over again. Throughout his campaign, his slogan is, “Make America Great Again,” but is that really what he is going to do? Or is it just another thing for him to put on his resume?