Breast implants linked to cancer, FDA finds

Breast implants are popular for women in our society, but is it worth dying over? Studies from the FDA are showing nine cases of women having plastic surgery for breast implants, which can lead to death.

Nearly11 million women in the world have breast implants, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the Plastic Surgeon Foundation.

The FDA stated, “The extremely rare cancer, called anaplastic large cell lymphoma, affects cells in the immune system and can be found around the breast implant. It can be found in the skin or lymph nodes and is not a type of breast cancer.”

The data from the FDA suggests women with breast implants have a very low but increased risk of developing ALCL compared to women who do not have breast implants.

The American Society of Plastic Surgeonsfound that in 2015 breast augmentation was the number one plastic surgery done for women. In addition, 279,143 procedures were done in 2015,  up 31 percent since the year 2000. The percent of breast implants surgeries done with women has gone up 18 percent in 2016.

Now, who is to blame for women wanting breast implants in the first place? Many things can lead to the reason why women decide to get such surgery done. Media and the way women see themselves can heavily influence why they choose to go under the knife.

The pressure to be “perfect” is constant from media, but is plastic surgery solving women’s issues?  It seems now in our time and especially generation, the excuse of undergoing surgery is that it’s “normal.”  

The United States National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health studies found,

“Psychosocial and health behavioural covariates of those who have undergone cosmetic surgery, as well as more attitudinal and belief system factors such as life satisfaction, self-esteem and body image.”

The people that get these surgeries are far more self-conscious about their appearance and body image issues, rather than those who do not.

Now what does this tell young women, that in order to feel confident in yourself you need to pay for it?

It’s not unusual to see women undergoing plastic surgery, because it has sadly turned out to be the standard norm in our society.

So now the question is, are you going to be just another statistic, or are you going to go against the pressure of what society thinks is now normal?