The trouble with celebrity imitation

exc-59adcc6ee6f2e1ebbceb990c
exc-59adcc6ee6f2e1ebbceb990c

Columnist Katie Haga 

Columnist Katie Haga 

A scandalous sex tape, a 72 hour marriage, major body reconstruction, but believe it or not folks, Kim Kardashian has made headlines once again. Shocker. Kardashian’s best attribute undoubtedly is her ability to make herself look foolish, but this time she has gone too far.

On Aug. 28, Kardashian took to Twitter to post pictures from her latest photoshoot for the September edition of Interview Magazine. On the cover, Kardashian is pictured with a big 60s – like hair – do, long white gloves and a ‘60s esque dress. 

Accompanying Kardashian is her daughter North West, who is also dressed in 1960s attire. With the photo, the caption “America’s first lady KimKardashian West and her daughter North West” is displayed.

As the great John F. Kennedy once said, “And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” with that being said, I believe what I can do for my country is say that Kardashian is a disgrace. 

It is painfully easy to see that in this shoot Kardashian is trying oh so hard to imitate Jackie Kennedy Onassis and fails miserably doing so. 

Jackie Kennedy is arguably the greatest first lady the United States has ever seen and to be disrespected that way is upsetting. 

In the story accompanying the photos of Kardashian, journalist from Interview Magazine, Janet Mock states, “If anyone can be said to embody the American Dream, it’s Kim Kardashian West.” 

When we start to compare Kardashian to Jackie Kennedy and dub her as our nation’s face of the American Dream, we have failed as a country. When describing the life of Kim Kardashian, I wouldn’t use “American Dream,” I believe “American horror story” would best suit the life of Kardashian. 

This photoshoot has caused major backlash; so much so, that according to Metro News many people are accusing her of ‘blasphemy.’ Although people thought she looked incredible, many took to the internet to express their anger and disbelief over the photos. 

As a Kennedy clan enthusiast, I must say I am appalled that Kardashian would have the audacity to pull a stunt like this. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was a political, public and fashion icon. Kardashian will never amount to the same eloquence or perfectionism as Jackie Kennedy. Another critique many people had toward Kardashian’s sad attempt at imitating Mrs. Kennedy Onassis was her makeup. 

According to Fox News, Kardashian received backlash over ‘blackface.’ Some claimed that the “Keeping Up With The Kardashians” star had her facial makeup purposely darkened to match her daughter’s skin tone. 

It seems as if Kardashian struggles so hard to just be herself. Although the constant changing of her physique through unnecessary surgeries is what she is best known for, the attempt to imitate someone she clearly is not is pathetic. The Kennedy photoshoot isn’t the only instance she did this. 

According to Huffington Post, just days later, Kardashian took up a new identity and “channels her inner Cher” for the September cover of Harper’s Bazaar Arabia. 

We may have a real problem on our hands; Kim Kardashian is suffering an identity crisis. The woman obviously lacks originality – who knew it could be so hard to be yourself. 

Whether you like Kim Kardashian or not, it is safe to say she is not, and never will be as iconic as Jackie Kennedy Onassis. 

She does not have the style, grace nor poise to be remotely close to the standards of Kennedy.