Dear baby boomers; stop criticizing millennials

exc-5a7a4b7ae4966bd8be12167b
exc-5a7a4b7ae4966bd8be12167b

Columnist Lindsey Huffman 

Columnist Lindsey Huffman 

Are millennials ruining America, or is it the baby boomers? A debate that can go on forever, but which generation is really at fault for ruining our country? 

The older generation consider millennials  spoiled, entitled and unable to live without their smartphones. Baby boomers on the other hand ignored all signs of climate change, financed two wars and left future generations to clean up the mess they started. 

But what has changed between millennials and our parents and grandparents? We wait to get married, unlike our ancestors. According to the BBC, “In the U.S. it is baby boomers who not only have higher current rates of divorce than any other age group right now, but who also got divorced in unprecedented numbers when they were in their 20s and 30s.” With millennials waiting longer on commitment and marriage, the divorce rate might drop incrementally. 

While there are many stereotypes of millennials living with their parents until age 30, research says otherwise. “While the economy is a factor, three out of four of those who live with their parents today aren’t “idle:” they have jobs or are in higher education,” according to the BBC. 

The millennials are chasing for a higher education to have better jobs than baby boomers. Most millennials attending colleges are first generation and are job-hopping less than their elders, which just reiterates this generation is doing better. 

According to the BBC, “Each generation has been becoming more metropolitan, better educated and more ethnically diverse, and less likely to be married or to have served in the military, than the last.” 

In other words, millennials want to do better from past generations because they have seen the mess their elders made. 

Before I completely bash on the baby boomers, they also assisted in social justice movements in order to change the way our country looks at equality. Martin Luther King Jr. was a baby boomer, but is hands-down the reason why segregation is not as predominate as it was before. Also a baby boomer, Harvey Milk was a hugely influential individual, who wanted to change the way society looked at the LGBTQ communities.

Millennials are taking many movements that the baby boomers started  and continuing to fight for equality. But as a millennial, I cannot let us off that easy.

The downside to our generation is we are truly addicted to our phones and care more about social media than actual reality. We thrive for likes, comments and retweets; but how does that get us anywhere in life? 

Nowadays we crave for fame without talent at all, in hopes that it will be golden ticket to become rich. 

But at the end of the day millennials, along with baby boomers, were all a part of electing our current president. So, now aren’t we all part of ruining America?