Conglomerates latest endeavors seem questionable

exc-5a7a4d4bf9619af057cd80a0
exc-5a7a4d4bf9619af057cd80a0

Columnist Luis Mejia 

Columnist Luis Mejia 

Amazon and Disney are two of the largest companies that have ever existed. Fortunately, everyone living above a rock already knows that. Harboring a combined estimated worth of $196.4 billion, their innovation has paid off more times than most can comprehend, and their recent endeavors make it clear there is no sign of slowing down.     

It was less than two months ago that The Washington Post reported Disney pulling off the deal of its dreams, and arguably the most important media deal of all time. Purchasing 21st Century Fox for a measly $52 billion, Disney gained the rights to many of our favorite television shows and movies, sending a powerful statement to the rest of the industry that it would not soon forget.

Likewise, Amazon launched its first ever grocery store without a checkout line two weeks ago, leading the fray into what we can expect the future of shopping to look like. Whether or not that is cause for concern depends on who is asked, but no one can deny this pair of behemoths has raised its ceiling to such an extent, that it is frankly intimidating. 

Companies like this are too busy to spend time shining their thrones at the top of the food chain. The responsibility they have is worth so much that they rarely think twice about making the most of it, which in this case is to keep building on it.

In the midst of their ridiculous growth over the past couple decades, Amazon and Disney believe there is something even more valuable than their bank accounts; influence. No doubt, money plays a significant role in acquiring this influence, but what these juggernauts seek is brand familiarity above all else. Before Disney’s acquisition of Fox, it already owned about 18 percent of the market share in American film alone, says Mansoor Mithaiwala of Screen Rant. Following its investment, the share surged to over 27 percent, which the company expects only to continue rising in due time. 

This is exactly what Disney wants—to grow as big as it can before anyone challenges them, and despite the company not purchasing the actual Fox network or the Fox News network, there will be little surprise if it eventually comes looking for them. Disney wants the closest thing to a media monopoly it can get to ensure control over how information is consumed.

While Amazon also plans to dominate, the company is not as guilty in this department, because its recent investments are not targeted at one specific medium. Disney attempts to conquer media; Amazon’s intentions, meanwhile, involve lifestyle altogether. This explains Amazon’s efforts in developing products spanning many industries like clothes, streaming services, music libraries, software, space travel, technology, food, and, thanks to Nick Wingfield of the New York Times, apparently health insurance. 

Not to mention it owns The Washington Post, one of the very news sources used in this column. This is either a monster that has no idea what it wants to eat, or one with too many ideas and an appetite for it all. Impressive, yes, but scary too.

As it stands, these companies are on track to gradually take over the world, a blueprint set to do more harm than good if no one stands in their way. 

This is something worth keeping an eye on for the future, as one should expect that by the next century, both of these giants will have left even bigger marks on humanity. 

Perhaps their aims to take over the world have already begun. If so, it remains to be seen whether they can coexist, especially when others like them are not ready to concede either; i.e. the “Googles” and “Apples” of the world. So in the meantime, Alexa versus Mickey; place your bets.