Cornell fraternity put on probation after inexcusable hazing activity

exc-5a83cf570d9297732914f305
exc-5a83cf570d9297732914f305

Cornell University’s very own Zeta Tau fraternity is being put on probation after an investigation conducted by the university’s Fraternity and Sorority Review Board found the fraternity was forcing pledges to participate in a sex competition. Men in the fraternity referred to it as a ‘pig roast,’ or in other words, a contest to see which pledge could have sex with the most women.

The competition had rules and guidelines, according the Cornell Daily Sun. “New members could accumulate ‘points’ by engaging in sexual intercourse with women,” the investigation stated. If there was a tie between two members, “members were told that the pledge who had sex with the heaviest woman won.” If this wasn’t already misogynistic and degrading enough, this competition just proves that men aren’t getting better, they’re getting progressively worse.

The fraternity’s will undergo a two year probation that requires the men to participate in Sexual Assault Awareness Week held at Cornell. Unfortunately for Cornell University, this isn’t the first time the school was put under the spotlight and scrutinized for their greek life organizations.

The true question is why isn’t the chapter of Zeta Tau fraternity suspended for these acts towards women? In many ways, this is considered a hate crime against women, but since it involves women we decide to sit back and slap the men of this fraternity on the wrist.

What does this say about the men not only at Cornell university, but all over the country? These kinds of incidents continue to happen everywhere at college campus, but yet we neglect to acknowledge the victims involved and demand justice. This just reminds women why we continue to fight for injustices and stand up for degrading sexist crimes like this.

As a woman, I ask myself when will crimes like this will stop? When will the men in our country do better and stop being disgusting pigs? It’s a question women continuously ask ourselves day in and day out. This is why there are feminist movements and marches. It is because these crimes are happening every single day, yet nothing has changed. This will not stop women from standing up for fair and equal treatment, because we are strong and will not back down.