Lights, camera, action! Studio Blue prepares for sixth annual student film festival, ‘Cinenoma.’

exc-58fe8613b8a79bf8507ab3c1
exc-58fe8613b8a79bf8507ab3c1

STAR // Brennan ChinStudio Blue members support student filmmakers at 2016's Cinenoma

STAR // Brennan Chin

Studio Blue members support student filmmakers at 2016’s Cinenoma

If Hollywood’s normalized white-washing has swept you away from theatres, ride that wave all way into Ives 101 on April 27 where aromas of popcorn will happily greet you and excitement will fill the air. Save the date, Studio Blue’s sixth annual film festival CineNoma has arrived.

CineNoma showcases student films created over the year, varying in genres from comedy and social commentary, to suspense and horror.  Between three to 10 minutes each, the films battle for awards in multiple categories, including best actor/actress, best picture and best cinematography.

“We’ve had members of Studio Blue be represented in the student film pavillion at the Cannes Film festival for three years in a row now,” said Ed Beebout., communications professor and Studio Blue adviser. “Our students are generating real, high quality productions.”

Submissions have grown since past years, when Beebout recalled, “We would [only] have four or five, but now they’ve grown to steady double figures.” 

The plethora of content comes from the release of campus only submissions, allowing students from Santa Rosa Junior College and other filmmakers to submit, and build impressions that could potentially turn into a job offer.

The panel, regularly consisting of about five people, seats student leaders of the department, professional film or video production employees and occasionally Hollywood producers. The professional input not only gives filmmakers accurate feedback, but makes those awards that much more rewarding.  

For the first time, the awards are being designed and created by campus art students, combining the talents of the Arts and Humanities Department and exposing the craft Sonoma State University’s art students posses. Previously store bought, the new ones are being carved out of wood, but the final product and shape can only be seen during the festival.  

“Because the event is made to attract and engage the entire campus community, why not engage the talented artists on campus as well?” said Beebout. 

Although not required, filmmakers and invested students whip out their red carpet looks for the dazzling event. You could be the next whiplash victim trying keep up with all the served looks. The festival begins at 7 p.m., so attendees should plan accordingly.