Newborn makes Senate history by changing age-old policies

exc-5adfef2970a6ad380a7ecb5a
exc-5adfef2970a6ad380a7ecb5a

The circle of life is a beautiful thing. Women and men have the ability to create life and make the world go around. Women are able to bear a child for nine months, while their entire life changes. Though the father’s life changes as well, women truly sacrifice a lot to bring life to this world.

When women have careers that make it more difficult to reproduce, it creates issues. Senator Tammy Duckworth, Democrat of Illinois, made history on Thursday. The Senate unanimously approved Duckworth bringing her 10-day-old newborn child, Maile Pearl Bowlsbey, into the Senate to vote.

Senator Duckworth’s arrangement with the Senate is the product of several months of behind the scenes negotiations in the Senate, where a prior ruling prohibited children from entering the Senate floor. According to the New York Times, “A few months after Ms. Duckworth announced she was pregnant, she asked Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, the senior Democrat on the Senate Rules Committee, to help her engineer a rule change, necessary because senators are required to vote in person.”

Senator Klobuchar seemed apprehensive over discussions over the situation, wondering if the Senate floor would turn into some “nursery” and made comments surrounding diaper changes and breast-feeding.

“But what if there are 10 babies on the floor of the Senate?” Senator Orrin G. Hatch, a Republican of Utah, asked, according to The Associated Press. Klobuchar replied, “That would be wonderful and a delight.”

The vote was anonymous and as of Wednesday, they changed the rule, and Senator Duckworth was able to bring her newborn, Maile Pearl Bowlsbey, to the Senate floor.Certain lawmakers have continued to voice their concerns, but ultimately wanted women to know the Senate is a welcoming and non-judgmental place of work.

But they set new rules for this new baby. “The baby will not be required to wear pants or a skirt or a tie. The baby will be allowed to wear a baby cap, unlike senators who can’t wear a hat,” Senator Amy Klobucahr said. “Senators are not allowed to wear sneakers or flip flops, but they are allowed to wear orthopedic shoes. The babies don’t have to wear shoes. They could wear baby booties. The baby is also not required to wear a Senate pin, because it would be dangerous.”

But truth of the matter is; why wasn’t this law changed a long time ago? It’s the 21st century, women shouldn’t have to worry about having a family and sacrificing their careers to do so.  Women can have a career and still have a family, no matter the sacrifice it takes to do so.

Not only is this the first child to come to the Senate floor and make history, but truly shows all women that no matter what your career may be, you can truly do it all.