Psychedelics join fight against mental illness

exc-5bb4243553450a1e7e6d7add
exc-5bb4243553450a1e7e6d7add

Drugs of all kinds remain a controversial subject, but psychedelics in particular, are very taboo. With its rise in popularity dating back to the “hippie” era of the 60s and 70s, hallucinogens like LSD and magic mushrooms have been the inspiration behind many songs and fashion trends. 

Though many look down upon the impact of psychedelic drugs on society, many have proven to give positive experiences to those going through illness.

The main chemical in what many refer to as magic mushrooms is psilocybin, a chemical that occurs naturally in these fungi. This chemical is what gives users a psychedelic experience, which can be accompanied by visual and audible hallucinations, as well as making the individual feel like they are having an out-of-body-experience. Though magic mushrooms are seen as a party drug or drug to boost creativity, recent studies have proven that this chemical may be able to help those suffering with mental illnesses.

Though magic mushrooms are an illegal drug in the United States, many countries like the Netherlands, Jamaica, Brazil and more have all legalized the drug. The U.S. may soon come next.

Many researchers do not know why psilocybin does what it does. But Dr. Carhart-Harris, a UK scientist, stated that “psilocybin can “reset” the brains of people with untreatable depression, according to BBC News. 

Carhart Harris studied psychedelics for many years, and determined that the chemicals can have positive, lasting effects. Though mushrooms essentially treat or reset one’s brain, the research for mushrooms assisting those with other mental illnesses like anxiety or even PTSD are very intriguing.  

In fact, according to The Psychedelic Society, studies tested on those with depression and anxiety collected that “80 percent of patients report improved well-being or life satisfaction for up to six months from just a single dose.” A typical single dose for a normal person is around three and a half grams of the drug, with a high lasting four to six hours. Unlike medications that treat depression that are needed to be taken everyday, shrooms can have positive effects for half of a year, with only one high needed for its effect to take place. 

Many individuals who take the drug agree that it is a very spiritual experience, that helps them associate with nature and themselves. 

As mentioned, shrooms are not only for those with severe mental illnesses. People with day to day fears and anxieties, traumas and even addictions like smoking, food addiction and alcohol use can benefit from experiencing the mushroom high. According to The Role of Psychedelics in Palliative Care, a trial using high doses of the chemical decreased “depressed mood and anxiety, along with increases in quality of life, life meaning and optimism, and decreases in anxiety related to death.” 

Microdosing is also a popular way to ease into the healing powers of psilocybin without fully committing to a five hour high. This is when an individual takes very small amounts of drugs at a time, not to get them high but so that they will be more creative, in touch with their surroundings and happier. Microdosing is done with other drugs as well, like marijuana, to feel the more positive effects without the sometimes scary side effects of being high, like altered states and anxiety. 

According to The Third Wave, “Users often report higher levels of creativity, more energy, increased focus, and improved relational skills.” Though microdosing can be used recreationally for some of the effects listed, others “microdose in order to treat depression or anxiety, and some also report microdosing helps to heighten spiritual awareness and enhance all five senses.” 

In conclusion, while psychedelics are taboo, current research has shown that they can have many positive impacts, and the stigma that goes alongside them is not always verifiable. 

Skepticism in science is important, but it is equally important that we do not let fear and tradition hinder the pursuit of effective and long lasting treatments.