Melania interview neither impresses nor informs

exc-5bc698090d9297f4c4ac080f
exc-5bc698090d9297f4c4ac080f

It is Melania Trump’s mission to encourage people to “be best.” Well it’s time she starts committing to that campaign herself.

On Friday, ABC’s highly anticipated interview with the First Lady was aired. The interview was promoted with no questions being off limit yet concluded with viewers still having many questions and wanting more.

It is tempting to want to give  Melania the benefit of the doubt for this interview. After all, she agreed to sit down with ABC during her tour in Africa to talk about things she has yet to comment on before. 

She did not choose to have a limited interview with a narrow set of pre-approved questions, nor did she sit down with Fox News, a station that the current administration has made it clear it is typically more trusting of and comfortable with. 

However, the hour-long program was a summary of already public information and most questions were answered with things Melania believes are important but has yet to actually act on.

According to the White House’s website, Trump’s campaign aims to target three elements: the well-being of children, social media and cyberbullying, and how the opioid crisis is affecting children. 

Melania wants to help America’s youth to be their best today for a better tomorrow. 

She tells ABC that her campaign is important to her as she considers herself one of the most bullied people in the world, yet she has never used her voice to stand up for the people on the receiving end of her husband’s cyber-bully attacks. 

The First Lady does not deny that she is very private, but in upholding that privacy, people don’t really know where her values are or what she stands behind and supports. 

Many news stations have judged her not based on her actions, but on her husband’s actions and more often, on her appearance. News stations like CNN have reported on her wardrobe choices and compared her to former First Lady Jackie Kennedy, also a fashion icon in the White House. 

Melania has stated that she wishes more people would focus on what she does rather than what she wears, but she has not done anything worth talking about besides wearing a jacket that says “I don’t care” while visiting children in camps who were separated from their families per her husband’s own policy.

Throughout the interview, FLOTUS tries to refocus the conversation back to things she believes in: her campaign to help children, standing with her husband despite his affair and speaking against his opinions when she disagrees. But her actions rarely speak for the things she claims to be important to her. 

When comparing what she has done for her campaign “Be Best,” to the previous First Lady Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” campaign, she has done fewer things for the organization in the same amount of time as Obama according to NPR. 

She also says she loves her husband despite how the media has portrayed their relationship, and that she speaks out when she disagrees with him. But speaking up in private is not really speaking out. 

She has a platform and a following and she never chooses to use it. 

She has her own voice, but admits that she tells her husband her opinions and then accepts that he is going to do whatever he wants anyways. 

That is not a way for her to be heard, and it is not standing up for her campaign to be best and stop cyber bullying.

When asked to describe who Melania Trump is, she claims that she is a strong and independent woman with much to prove just like her husband. If that is the case, we certainly have not seen that side of her yet.