CAPS screening limits sexual assault efforts

exc-5bcfd1009140b7dc42be7abb
exc-5bcfd1009140b7dc42be7abb

Now that the first six weeks of the semester have passed, and we’ve exited the so-called “redzone,” Sonoma State’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) has talked extensively about forming a sexual assault survivor support group, which should be great news. 

It sounds like a wonderful idea and a much-needed resource . . . as long as you’re one of the small handful of students that actually get accepted into the program.

A Sonoma State student had concerns about how the support group is expected to be conducted. The student, who will be kept anonymous, is a recent sexual assault survivor, and went to CAPS to discuss the sexual assault support group at the recommendation of a peer mentor. Upon meeting with Dr. Martinez, the student came to find that the support group was not as accessible as expected.

According to their conversation with Dr. Martinez, the group is intended to consist of eight people, but a ninth member may be considered if necessary. Members will not be permitted to bring anyone outside of the group for emotional support, and will be expected to attend every meeting time, acting almost as a class period. 

This is likely meant to ensure that members feel more comfortable sharing with the group and maintain confidentiality.

However, perhaps the most problematic part of the program’s intended construction is that prospective members are expected to go through a screening process in order to be admitted into the group. Individuals who express interest in the program can expect to be contacted and interviewed by CAPS to see if they are a good fit for the group. 

This screening process includes an interested party sharing their sexual assault history and answering questions about how they can contribute to the group.

College campuses everywhere are also just now exiting the redzone. 

The redzone is defined by the National Organization for Women as the “time at the beginning of the first six weeks of the fall semester during which campus sexual violence is particularly high.” 

The need for an open and accessible support group is crucial, especially taking into consideration the likely spike in sexual assaults in the past few weeks.

According to the Rape, Assault & Incest National Network (RAINN),  33 percent of women who are raped contemplate suicide and 70 percent of sexual assault victims experience moderate to severe distress. 

The obstacles for survivors seeking support are already substantial enough without the added difficulties of being turned away by what is supposed to be their greatest resource. 

The National Sexual Violence Resource Center reported that over 90 percent of sexual assaults on campus go unreported. When a Sonoma State student is assaulted, one of the first resources given to them is CAPS. 

By using a screening process and being highly selective with a sexual assault survivor support group, CAPS is running the risk of making survivors feel as if even mental health professionals do not believe them. Turning away the people who try and seek help might be extremely detrimental to the way they view their experience.

This is not to say that the process is the fault of CAPS or Dr. Martinez. A small survivor support group is undoubtedly better than no support group at all. 

The problem lies at the heart of the insufficient funds received by CAPS in the first place. There is only so much that can be accomplished when CAPS is already so overloaded. 

Students feeling neglected or waiting weeks to get appointments for services is not unheard of, but it stems from the understaffing of the department. 

If gone about the right way, the sexual assault survivor support group has the potential to be an outstanding resource for Sonoma State. Ideally, it would be preferred for the program to be open, accessible, and welcoming. 

If that is not immediately possible, CAPS needs to ensure that all sexual assault survivors on campus are validated and given the support they deserve.