Trump’s celebrity status infringing political stature

exc-5bcfd2a9e4966b4195777ed4
exc-5bcfd2a9e4966b4195777ed4

The political climate all around the world is hot right now: Canada has legalized marijuana, England is facing another Brexit crisis, Saudi Arabia may have been involved in the murder and cover up of a journalist . . . the list could continue on.

However, in America, the current big, political scandal involves the president’s childish games of name calling and the response that dubs him “tiny.”

Certainly, there are much more important things going on here; they’re just not being as widely spoken about. Nobody is talking about the recent salmonella outbreak around the country or the pill that can prevent people from getting HIV. People also aren’t thinking about the new (but unfortunately not new) child abuse scandal with the Pennsylvania Catholic Church nor are they thinking of the $100 million that was transferred to the U.S. from Saudi Arabia last week. Rather, everyone is more interested in keeping up with the Kardashians.

It may be argued that people are just as obsessed with politics and Trump as they are stars, but this is only because he’s just another famous person for us to gawk at. After sitting down with Lesley Stahl for CBS’s 60 Minutes Interview, Trump once again proved that he makes a better celebrity than he does politician.

Trump is highly covered by the media and people do stay current on him. They pay attention to interviews and some policies, and they also know all about his “horseface” comment.

Regrettably, this isn’t because people love to follow politics.

It’s because people love to follow celebrity culture and Trump is in the thick of it—right next to his pal Kanye West.

During Trump’s interview with Stahl, he did not veer from his typical celebrity behavior. In a time where sexual assault is a pressing issue on the political agenda, he chose to brush off Professor Christine Ford’s testimony against Justice Brett Kavanaugh about an attempted rape by saying, “It doesn’t matter. We won.”

Furthermore, Trump explains that he has “good chemistry” with North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un. Thankfully, he is only one of few who believes notorious dictators have “good energy.”

While these responses could still be seen as political answers to political questions, his words were not political at all. He spoke like a celebrity and, in some cases, a toddler.

Per his usual form, he frequently spoke loudly and spoke over Stahl during the interview, often cutting her off. He got emotional—usually angry—when asked about things that are going on in the country today. Remaining consistent with his poor form, he also blamed everything negative that has been said on fake news. Finally bringing his best, he refers to the political world as the “most vicious and deceitful world” he’s been apart of. Very reassuring.

Simply put, Trump is not a politician. During his campaign, it was noted that he did not have real political or military experience. Through almost two years as President, he has still not become a politician. He remains short-tempered and continues using informal language, all things that are more acceptable for a celebrity than a president.

We have all heard about Trump’s “shortcomings,” yet we continue to watch him like a car crash in slow motion. We laugh at our president’s affair and the fact that the media is presently talking about the size of his manhood.

We never stop to think about how bizarre it is to be talking about the leader of our country in bed. Instead, we continue laughing like we do when we’re incredibly embarrassed and we don’t know what else to do, because we don’t.

So we keep laughing since our president is just another celebrity we love to gossip about.