Alternative medicine: the answer to big pill manufacturers

exc-5beb5287562fa7448cf16a14
exc-5beb5287562fa7448cf16a14

Alternative medicine has been around since the dawn of time, however major medical companies often pressure to us to try their products to heal our ailments. The fact is, many natural remedies are available for individuals to rid of issues they are experiencing.

Traditional Chinese Medicine, or TCM, is an umbrella term for methods of healing that include acupuncture, meditation and herbs to cure ailments, which are still being explored.  Holistic methods of healing are not necessarily controversial, but they are out of the norm, and typically take more time and ingredients to prepare. In what many call our Microwave Society, Americans want to see results fast by one trip to the drug store. Alternative medicine is more natural, and can be just as beneficial without having to go through a middleman, like a pharmacist.

Without any unknown ingredients on the back of a pill bottle, holistic healing gives many peace of mind as to what they are putting into their bodies.

One of the most popular and mainstream forms of this is acupuncture; the practice of putting needles into the body in a way that is not painful and will not cause the skin to tear or bleed. It is used to cure a variety of ailments.

According to Medical News Today, “an acupuncturist will insert needles into a person’s body with the aim of balancing their energy.” Acupuncture has been known to help individuals with high blood pressure, headaches, chronic pain and even stop people from smoking. This practice is essentially energy work that uses needles to stimulate the flow of energy through the body.

Live Science explains it as, “health is the result of a harmonious balance of the complementary extremes of “yin” and “yang” of the life force. Illness is said to be the consequence of an imbalance of the forces.” It is a painless, relaxing procedure that is becoming more mainstream because of its benefits. “Inserting needles into these points with appropriate combinations is said to bring the energy flow back into proper balance.”

Another popular form of holistic healing is grounding, also known as earthing. This is a form of medicine popular with those who are very active and who love to be outside—but since walking or hiking is free and accessible for all, it is a great way to reduce inflammation, stress, and improve circulation. Grounding is reconnecting with the earth. It is simply done by walking barefoot, or exposing bare skin to the ground where there is pain.

According to Chopra.com, “the Earth is like a gigantic battery that contains a natural, subtle electric charge—a special kind of energy present in the ground.” Grounding has been proven in many studies to reduce swelling, as well as overall well being. NCBI reports that inflammation was severely reduced in 20 case studies due to the patient earthling. Another woman experiencing sleep issues and chronic pain reported that after 8 weeks of sleeping on the  ground and walking barefoot, her pain was completely gone.

The average person will get sick and injured many times in their life, and it is up to them if they choose to use alternative medicine or not. Many of the holistic methods of healing have become quite popular in society due to its growing amount of individuals seeing their results. Certain herbs and spices like ginger and licorice root are extremely common and can be used as a medicine for sickness.

The holistic approach is not out of the ordinary—it is all around us.

Big pill manufacturers sometimes oversell their products as a magic pill—but not every medication works for everyone. It is crucial to find methods of healing that are healthy, non additive, inexpensive, and most importantly, work for one’s specific needs.