What to watch in May

exc-6091d9919cd4f05230b57563
exc-6091d9919cd4f05230b57563

With the start of the month of May comes the start of the summer movie season. And summer being only a few weeks away, Seawolves can get ready to binge watch several returning and new shows coming to streaming platforms. This month will bring to premiere and return of many highly anticipated shows and with streaming services continuing to dominate in award season some highly anticipated films are starting to appear across platforms. 

What to watch in May - Nancy - Facebook.png

On May 14, Netflix is to debut the highly anticipated thriller film “The Woman in the Window,” starring Amy Adams. “Monster,” the story of a 17 year old honor roll student is charged with felony murder is also set to premiere on Netflix this month. Another Netflix original starring Amanda Seyfried titled “Things Seen and Heard,” is available for streaming now telling the story of a woman uncovering secrets of her husband when they leave Manhattan and move to a rural town. Disney fans can get excited for the end of the month when “Cruella,” the live action story of Cruella de Vil from “101 Dalmatians” starring Emma Stone will be available to stream on the premier Disney+ platform as well as in theaters. Junior Malina Evans said, “I’m so excited for Cruella to come out, I have missed going to the movies so much this past year”.

Several shows are returning this month as well as a couple premieres. Fans of the Hulu Original “The Handmaid’s Tale” will be excited for the long hiatus to end with the series fourth season with new episodes every Tuesday. Fans of FX’s “Pose” can watch the third and final season this month, and for those new to the series, the first two seasons are available to stream on Netflix now. “I’m so happy “Pose” is coming back, I binged watched the first two seasons and now I’m obsessed!” said Sophomore Emily Laureno. “Shrill” is returning to Hulu this month for its third season starring SNL cast member Aidy Bryant. True crime fans should anticipate “Dirty John: The Betty Broderick Story” coming to Netflix on the 30, the series details a love story gone horribly wrong. Comedian Bo Burnham has announced the release of a highly anticipated special titled “Inside,” that was inspired by his year in quarantine.

Streaming services have allowed us to consume content in an entirely new way and there’s always an opportunity to visit fan favorites you might have missed. Sonoma State Senior Kiley Cardamone said “I’ve been watching “Schitts Creek!” It’s so funny and captivating to watch, it’s addicting!”. The first and second season of the Netflix reality show “The Circle” is streaming now. Other student favorites were “Big Mouth,” “You,” “Bridgerton,” “Shadow and Bone,” “Peaky Blinders,” and “American Horror Story.” With such a range in content, students can rest assured they will have plenty to binge watch this summer.